Chapter 91

Chapter 91

An elbow dug into his sides without warning, a shockwave spreading through his body.

A second ago, there was nobody. Next, a tall man in the Church's uniform stood there, in the stance of Bajiquan, his elbow at right angle with his waist, his fist facing upwards.

A trail of blood remained in the air as it flew from Kairi's mouth, his body spinning and tumbling across the forest floor until it came crashing to a stop against a tree.

"―――Urghhh―――"

His crumpled body twitched, his consciousness trying to reassert itself. Blood trickled from the corner of his mouth and from his nose, combining together on his cheek into a single stream of crimson that watered the dirt his face was resting against.

―――MOVE

His hands reached into his jacket, fumbling in the dark as he did his best to control his floundering fingers, his senses dulled from the blast and the elbow strike. But years of practice aided him, guiding his hand to the wooden handle of the double-barrelled sawed-off shotgun he kept with him at all times, his trusty partner.

*krnch, krnch*

Not yet...

With the necromancer injured, Kirei saw no reason to hide his presence any more, casually approaching the Kairi like he was meeting an acquaintance.

"What is your name, magus? Tell me, so that the Lord may hear and absolve your sins."

When Kairi refused to answer, Kirei smiled.

"If you are unwilling to repent, then you must suffer punishment before you are forgiven."

In the blink of an eye, he seemingly teleported in front of Kairi's prone body with inhuman speed, his foot hooking under Kairi's torso and lifting him up into the air for his shoulder to strike his stomach.

The instant Kairi felt himself go weightless, he drew the shotgun from under his jacket with practiced ease, the barrels swiftly aligning with the priest's body. Without hesitation, he pulled the trigger.

A deafening crack sounded through the forest, reaching Lancer's ears. Her eyes instantly locked onto the two shadows intertwined, deep in the forest.

He's aiming away from me?

Kirei was confused as he saw the barrels tilted away from his body, his eyes telling him that the bullets wouldn't hit. Yet his instincts screamed at him to dodge, and his body obeyed, barely pulling him out of the way of the finger bullets that curved towards his body as they passed him, the closest one cutting a line across the sides of his cassock.

The bullets were able to track body heat and adjust their course accordingly, with the additional property of burrowing into the body to the heart to explode with the 'Gandr' curse, a one shot one kill weapon. It wasn't able to make a complete U-turn in the air though, so Kirei was able to escape death by a hair.

Before Kirei recovered, Kairi pulled out the heart grenade, the dark red shrivelled mass in his hands, and hurled it in front of him. Within his body, the Magic Circuits stirred to life.

"O wind..."

A gust of air blew the grenade right behind Kirei's body, using his body as a shield to block the shrapnel from hitting Kairi while making it harder to get rid of as well. Kirei's eyes tracked the red mass, watching it pass right under his armpit and past his ribs.

This guy...It had been some time since Kirei had to put his life on the line, but he remained calm.

Turning around to crush the grenade would expose his back to the necromancer, but leaving the grenade alone would very likely lead to his doom as well. Within a second, he mind sped through the possibilities, and he opted to retreat, exposing Kairi to the grenade while placing himself out of harm's way.