-Sign It-

~Prologue~

"It appears the incident won't allow Kate to speak again." The doctor's informing tone through groggy awakening makes me wonder if I'm hallucinating. My sight, though blurry and drugged, fixated vision on the man speaking to my parents. I try raising my voice to protest, but a mask giving me which I assume is oxygen prevents any movement from my jaw.

"Her voice box was damaged in the crash. I'm surprised she hadn't died with such possible and fatal chances. She's a very lucky girl." He continues. I see my parents look at him. It's hard to focus and hear what their always soft voices say from over my heavy breathing through the mask. I want to tell them that I'm okay but I can't. I try to move but I feel an extremely sharp pain in my neck. I don't remember what happened. I want to ask but I can't.

"Kate," My mother suddenly looks towards me and smiles with somber eyes. My dad's melancholic expression turns soft and both my parents come near me. The doctor follows, looking down at a clipboard.

"Blink twice if you're feeling okay." He simply says. I blink twice and he scribbles something down on his clipboard. "You broke your neck in a car crash. Though it was a minor break, you shattered your voice box in a way that there is absolutely no way you'll be able to speak again."

Well wow, he's someone who isn't afraid to get the truth out immediately. Now was a time I wish I could say something back to him, but with no voice anymore, I knew that I couldn't do that.

"I'd recommend putting her in sign language lessons," The doctor turns to my parents. "Until she learns how to sign fluently, let her bring a white board around to communicate with. It's going to be hard for her at first, but she'll adjust to it in no time."

'You speak like I'm not in the fucking room. I'm mute, not deaf.' I want to speak but can't. Wow, my life is going to be shitty. How can I function without being able to talk back or make sarcastic remarks? I won't be able to speak out my own name. It's like I need to learn how to talk all over again.

I need to start my life over again.