Beggars can't be choosers

Lauren sits at her desk, casually flipping through a stack of papers on her desk, picking at a half eaten BLT, when her office door opens slowly. Without looking she knows exactly who has entered. " What you got for me Stevie?"

Steven raises an eyebrow as he steps forward placing the box on the edge of her desk, " I still dunno how you do that", he leans on the desk, " We got a homocide, you have the pleasure of going through the suspects shit."

Raising her head Lauren sighs, licking mayonaisse off of her thumb she lifts the lid and rummages around, "Fuck, how old is this kid, 13?" Lifting a plastic horse out she gives Steven a look which he understands without words "fuck off stevie". He smiles and leaves, closing the door softly behind him.

Picking up a bundle of notepads secured together with rubber bands she sighs. "Lets see what fucked up shit this ones been up to" she opens the first pad, the front page decorated with pink bows, the word 'Diary' coloured in purple.

February 12th 1993.

Dear Diary, Hello! I'm Sonya, I'm nearly 13 and my Mum just bought you for me. Well my biologocal mum, the one who actually likes me. Oh yeah, I guess I better start from the beginning.

You see, I have two moms. My biological mom and my step-mom. I don't know my dad, I don't think my mom even knows. She fell pregnant with me when she was nineteen after a long list of one night stands. When I was born, I get told she was happy but I don't think she was. She was too young to have a baby, wasn't ready to settle into motherhood, so I lived with my Granma until last year. I still remember the day she announced her engagement and that she wanted to finally grow up and have a family with her girlfriend Toyah. It wasn't until I moved in with them that I realised, I wasn't really welcome here.