Chapter 6

Abigail

We walked around the carnival, playing any and every game Angel wanted. We'd been here for almost an hour and it didn't seem like my Angel would be tired any time soon. She had Elena winning her prizes at whatever game she'd pick. It was nothing but amazing watching the same intimidating woman, basically being putty in my daughter's hands. I was currently watching as she tried to win her latest game. It was almost adorable really, how frustrated she got every time she missed the bottle. I was almost tempted to help her but waited just a bit longer. Not being able to bear it anymore I walked up to Elena and took the rings out of her hands. I easily threw the rings around the bottles, then turned and gave her a smile.

"How...how?" She asked,for some reason shocked.

I shrugged. "It's the only game I'm good at." I laughed at the face she made.

After Angel picked what prize she wanted, we continued walking around. The day was filled with fun and laughter. I welcomed the opportunity to forget the past wholeheartedly.

We sat on a bench as Angel ate cotton candy, rambling about how much fun she was having. My attention was diverted from her when my phone rang. I excused myself from Elena and Angel to answer.

"Katie, please don't." I said, already knowing why she called. I already had numerous calls and texts from both her and Scott.

She sighed. Her tone was low as she spoke. "I wasn't going to. I know you wanted to be left alone with Angel today, but I'm still allowed to check on my best friend on her birthday." 

"I'm sorry. I just...can't, okay?" I paused, "we're at the carnival, I just couldn't say no to her." I said quietly. It was silent before she spoke.

"I love you, Abby. Give Angel a kiss for me and I'll see you tomorrow."

I smiled sadly. "I love you too and I will."

I hung up and made my way over to them. 

Elena looked up at me as I approached. "Everything good?"

 I nodded in reply, retaking my seat on the bench.

We sat people watching as we rested our aching feet. I couldn't help myself, I stole glances at the woman next to me. It was surreal. I was at the carnival with my daughter and my English teacher. My mind drifted to how things would be at school tomorrow. We just spent the last three days together. 

For whatever stupid reason I voiced my concern.

"Elena?" She looked at me so I continued. "At school tomorrow...I mean...is it going to be weird?"

She stared at me for a while, then shook her head. "No. It's not, we're friends Abigail. Nothing's wrong with that and besides we are not the only teacher and student that hangs out." She shrugged nonchalantly.

She wasn't wrong. I saw coach Douglas and one of the boys on the football team having coffee together. It wasn't unusual around here. People were friendly, even if this was a big town. 

"Yeah, you're right." I dismissed the thought away.

We pulled up at our apartment building, Elena insisted she drive earlier today, although she now drove a range rover evoque. I picked up my bag but before I could open the door she was already opening it for me. I said a soft 'thanks' trying not to blush. She simply smiled and closed the door. I went to take a sleeping Angel out but again she was already doing that too.

"You don't have to do that." I tried to stop her.

"It's fine." She carefully held her with one hand and reached for the two bags we got for the smaller stuffed animals."Take the bear. It's not heavy."