Chapter 1 - A Life We've Known

A/N: So I decided to change the entire story that I had previously, and now it's a lot different from the story that I had previously written up. With that, I hope you enjoy this newer version!

Chapter 1 ~ A Live We've Known

I leaned back against the tree, staring out across the moderately sized field. Vernon was still working, carefully walking along and planting the seeds. Tinlin, Vernon's gryphon trotting along behind him. Her white coat gleamed in the sunlight, the blue tips of her wings and tail feathers also glittering. It seemed that Voran had groomed her recently.

Gryphons were means of common transportation all over Ospia, especially in Spaemothia and Azraokron. They were the best means of navigation for trading vessels, as well as great in combat. The Knights often used the best trained Gryphons for their own uses and the best traders had a Gryphon companion that they consulted for navigation while trading. Since Spaemothia was the biggest trading center in all of Ospia, it made sense that there would be many Gryphons around.

"Excuse me!" A voice called, knocking me out of my thoughts. I turned, sitting up to look at a man that was walking up along the road on a Gryphon. His dark colored hair was slightly tousled from the wind he had ridden on, giving it a wavy appearance. Brown eyes shined brightly, and as he approached, I could see a slight trace of stubble on his face. He had the look of an adventurer, many we had seen while we were with the Knights.

Before I could respond to his friendly greeting, my own gryphon, Orweyn landed on the ground, wings outstretched to block their path from coming any closer. His stance was defensive, front claws scratching at the earth, daring the newcomers to make a move.

"Orweyn, please, they mean no harm." I called out to the Gryphon who glared at the newcomers before folding his wings and shuffling back towards me. I turned my attention to the man who was carefully watching my gryphon with suspicion.

The man was an archer, no doubt, as a silver bow was strapped across his back along with a quiver of matching arrows. He eyed the Gryphon one last time before shrugging his shoulders and carefully slipping off the saddle of his snow-white gryphon. She was a rather beautiful creature, and I had to admire the dark speckles on her legs and the inquisitive look in her bright, golden eyes.

"Sorry. Orweyn is a bit defensive when he sees new people approaching." I apologized.

The man shook his head, "No need to apologize, I completely understand."

"Can I help you?" Vernon asked. He had walked over from the field followed by Tinlin who also had an aggressive look on her face, but would not attack unless given command from Vernon. She was the better behaved of the two Gryphons on our small homestead.

"Yes, I'm actually heading towards the city of Ferandale, and I've lost my way. Could you point me in the right direction?"