Chapter 2 - Cottage in the Woods

Chapter 2 ~ Cottage in the Woods

Catching another current, Orweyn stretched his wings, gliding forward until his wings flapped to steady himself. The forest was a long ways from here still, and we had only rested once, afraid that we would not catch Vernon in time.

"The prevailing winds have done a number on our wings. Perhaps we could rest?" Orweyn called to me.

"Very well." I responded, still eager to be on our way, but the Gryphons would need rest.

We landed for the second time, both Orweyn and Midgia, Pythe's Gryphon, were exhausted.

"How much further could it be?' Midgia grumbled, stretching out her wings.

"Still a very long flight away, but we have to reach the nearest town before nightfall." Pythe said, padding Midgia's neck.

"Why before nightfall? Can't we just camp out?" I asked.

Pythe looked at me incredulously, "It's a good thing that you brought me along, otherwise you would be dead for sure. But, yes, we do have to be inside walls before darkness falls. There are Demons around this area that have been known to snatch travelers in the night. Not to mention the other nighttime creatures." Pythe shook his head and then glanced back up at the sky. "We're making good progress though, we should arrive at the city in a few hours."

"A few hours?" Orweyn protested. "You aren't the ones that have to carry everything."

"I'm sorry, Orweyn, we'll rest as often as we can." I stroked Orweyn's beak, which seemed to calm him slightly, though he was still annoyed, evident by the flicking of his tail.

"Right, we'll move on." Pythe said as he got back onto Midgia's back. Midgia seemed to roll her eyes, but consented to his master's wishes. I got onto Orweyn's back, and he seemed to sag underneath my weight.

"We'll rest again, soon." I promised him. I padded his neck sympathetically.

Orweyn lifted his tired wings and again we took off, at a much slower pace than before due to the exhaustion of the gryphons.

 "Pythe! Those are storm clouds!" I shouted over the wind that was starting to pick up.

"I know, but we need to reach the city!" He yelled back and urged Midgia to go faster. Orweyn also picked up his pace and soon the once gentle winds had grown into a buffeting rage.

Orweyn struggled to keep going in the strong winds that pushed him backwards. Midgia was fairing no better. The storm clouds were closer now, and soon we were enveloped in them, heavy rain beating down upon us as we continued to fight against the wind.

"Pythe! This is getting us nowhere! We need to land!" I yelled as loud as I could, the pounding rain and whistling wind almost drowning out my words. I couldn't see him over the rain that stung my eyes, but I could faintly here his voice.