Amber Eyes and White Hair

Today...

Today was the day.

Today thousands of young children were being torn away from the worlds they love.

Today was the day they would be carted away in trains away from the lives they knew so well and loved.

Pale faces of children stared out into the country side, their eyes straining to see what was left of their lives, left alone and broken in the rubble of the once great city of London.

All throughout the train, sullen faces filled the many compartments, their fingers idly playing with the registration tags pinned to the varying ages of children from ages five to sixteen sleeves.

As the train roared by, only one face didn't look back longing towards the city. Her amber eyes were cast downward, staring at the last thing she had of her past life.

Gazing through the glass pane at the compartment, four children, eyes filled with pain, loss, longing, hatred, talked amongst themselves, contemplating whether or not go enter the nearly empty cabin filled solely by this young preteen.

Finally opening the door, the one who looked like the eldest of the four, stepped in, breaking the thin barrier separating them.

"Excuse me?" Averting her eyes from her possession sitting in her closed fist, the young girl peered up at the family in front of her. "Is this compartment taken?"

The girl stared at the male in front of her, his eyes were blue and his hair golden blonde. He looked a few years older than her twelve-year-old self.

In turn, the boy standing in the door examined the girl sitting down, trying to sink into the seat below her. Her eyes were a yellow color, amber? Is that the color his teacher called it? But more interesting than her abnormal colored eyes, was her hair.

Sure Peter has seen the towhead blondes with too much gel, making their hair look greasy, but her hair was...how to say...white.

White as pure as snow.

She shook her head at the young man, no one wanted to ever sit with her. Stupid judgmental human beings.

The young maiden watched as the sunlit haired boy nodded behind him.

Were there more?

Gosh let's hope not.

But her wishes were left unheard as three other children followed behind the elder as he made himself cozy in the seat next to her. The boy took his seat and watched as his three younger siblings took their appropriate seats, his brother and the eldest sister sat across from him, green eyes gazing out of he corner of her eyes at the new girl seated in front of her. And finally, the smallest of the family, the little baby sister took her seat between the blonde eldest boy and the white haired girl. 

The amber eyed girl continued to stare at something held tightly in her hands as three other young children followed after the blonde and proceeded to invade her carriage. 

"Peter, couldn't you have chosen another compartment, any one but this one?" Whines filled the air as the fifteen year old boy with blonde hair stared at the black haired, green eyed girl who emitted the cry. As Peter pondered his sister in front of him, he remembered how she never knows when to shut her 'I Know Everything in the World' mouth, always pointing out her opinion, judging people without meaning to, but she still does mean to judge.

Boy, are girls (especially his sister) confusing.

"Susan, if you want to go find somewhere else to sit, well jolly go ahead. I'm not going to stop you." He huffed at his sister a year younger than himself, even though Peter was the eldest, she never takes that into consideration when it comes to authority.

"I'm just saying that I don't exactly trust people with white hair and yellow eyes, Peter." Susan snidely remarked, saying it loud enough to fill the entire compartment with her voice. If looks could kill, Susan would be dead and rotting away too many times to count, this action of hers was uncalled for, and not at all like level headed Susan.

"Susan! Your being worse than Edmund right now." The blonde referenced to his little jet black haired brother, who himself is a jerk when he wanted to be, but Edmund was still dealing with life and growing up right now.

"Hey!" Another voice yelled, it must have been Edmund, he would have been the only one to take offense with what his brother said of him, but Peter and Susan ignored their brother.

Like always.

Peter turned his body towards the whitenette who sat silently in her corner, listening to the three children's conversation while the forth sat quietly between Peter and the girl.

Having the window seat, the white haired girl let her eyes lean towards the window, leading out the outside, free world.

Though her face showed no emotion in caring towards Susan's words, her eyes say otherwise.

Her amber filled orbs glistened in the sun light, the yellow turned more into a gold. Her eyelashes fluttered quicker than before, her intentions to blink away the tears failed. Peter's heart broke as he watched the young twelve year old girl's eyes prepared to let loose the flood gates holding the tears back as Susan continued with her snide comments.

"Well I'm sorry I'm always right."

"Susan! Stop this and be quiet!" Peter barked at his sister, the one who was suppose to be the 'responsible, mature' one was failing at her role of being the back bone to this family.

Sending a groan towards his sister, Peter turned back towards the mystery maiden to his left. "I'm sorry for my sister's behavior. She's never been this arrogant of her words." Susan glared at Peter before wrapping her arms around her body, crossing herself off from me.

"No," A feminine voice called through the air, everyone's head swiveled to see the young girl speak. Her face looking at everyone, eyes darting between everyone in the small room. "She's right. No one would trust a girl with yellow eyes or white hair. No one wants to be the friend of the girl who sits alone. No one wants to see past how she really looks. Everyone just judges her by her cover." With her last words, everyone in the room watched as tears flowed down her face, the flood gates opening to let loose her tears.

The cabin dripped in eerie silence as no one knew how to react to the scene in front of them. A girl they never knew before in their lives had just basically poured her life story to them, well sorta.

The girl curled up into a ball, her arms wrapping around her knees and drawing them closer to her chest, trying to shrink, shrivel up and melt away into nothing.

Peter, in this moment, saw attached to her sleeve the location of her new life style, and hopefully her name.

Reaching over his little sister and baby of the family, Lucy, Peter grabbed the corner of the thick sheet of card stock and gently tugged it off.

Peter read her information. So, she was twelve, from London, she's going to... this will work out perfectly. "Susan..." As much as he didn't want to talk to her right now, Peter knew this was not good.

"What Peter? I thought you didn't want me talking the rest of our ride."

"Stop with your sass, Susan. Besides, we all are gonna have to talk, even you. More specifically apologize to our new roommate here." Peter clipped the paper back onto her sleeve, feeling her shoulders tense up at his words and a weak mutter of the word 'no' was whispered.

"You don't mean..." Susan's eyes bulged in horror, her jaw dropped.

Edmund had no reaction, 'great, another reason for Susan to pick a fight.'

Lucy stared at her brother before transferring her eyes to the older girl next to her. 'Yay! I may have a new friend! Not like Peter or Susan or Edmund aren't my friends, but their my siblings, I kind of have to get along with them.'

"Guys," Peter's strong and firm voice spoke again, the little voice in the back of his head whispered in his ear, 'You know everyone will hate you, even her.' The little voice referring to the small ball of a girl leaning as far away from everyone as possible. "Everyone meet Arabella Nox."