Chapter 1: Before the incident

Amber's POV: "Crewmate again, at least I don't have to kill anyone this round." I said to myself before stepping out of the assignment pod. I took the tablet with my list of tasks from a cubby on the outside of the pod. The assignment pod was like a mini ship that transported the people in the systems from their lobby to their destinations, Polus, Mira HQ, and The Skeld, where me and the rest of my crew were. It also gave people their new assignments, and it's where cremates got their tasks. I opened up the tablet and sighed with relief, I didn't have download, I'd been killed enough while doing it to know it was a death task. Sure, death here wasn't permeant, but it still hurt like hell, and being a ghost was... unpleasant. 

     "Hey Pink, want to pair up?" It was Black, he was a friend of mine, though he got voted off a lot due to his sinister look. It was kinda his fault for insisting to wear the twisting goat's horns on his head constantly.

     "Sure, why not?" I said with a grin. "Where are your tasks?" He looked down at his tablet.

     "Well, I've got stuff in Med, Elec, and Nav." He replied.

     "Let's start with electrical." I said, pocketing my list.

     "All right." He shrugged, doing the same, and we started off towards electrical.

     There weren't many people when we got there. Yellow was downloading, but that was it. Black and I started on our respective tasks, or that's what I thought till I felt black's hands on my head. "Shit." I said, closing my eyes in dread.

     "Heh, sorry." He said, right before snapping my neck.

     I looked over at Black and just glared. I knew he couldn't see me, but when you're a ghost you can't really think clearly, it's like trying to wade through thigh high mud. You don't need to breathe as a ghost ether, well more like you can't breath, it's a bit unsettling, and no matter how many times you're killed you never get used to the floating, though weirdly these symptoms are easier to deal with while flying around outside the ship. But a decent crewmate only did that after their tasks were done.

     The sound of a vent broke me out of my daze just in time for me to see yellow and black jumping in. Of course yellow was the other imposter. I had been hoping Black had made a mistake, but I kinda already knew he hadn't. He wasn't stupid. I went back to fixing the wires, but I wasn't able to finish before purple came in and reported my body. I was the only one dead, so I just looked on as the chaos unfolded.

     "Where was the body?"

     "In Elec."

     "Did anyone see anything?"

     "Nope."

     "Can someone watch me scan?"

     "Red sus, they were faking download."

     "I was not! And you were really fast to accuse!"

     "Does anyone want to watch me scan?"

     "I will." 

     "Thanks orange!"

     "So skip?"

     "No, vote Red."

     "Why?"

     "Just skip." Voting time ended, and everyone but red and dark green skipped. Those two had voted each other.

     The rest of the round was a blur. Yellow and black won with both of them still alive, sadly. "Good game everyone!" Brown exclaimed once we were back in the lobby. 

     Cyan rolled their eyes."Sure, if that's what you call it." Cyan was new to the system and was still getting used to the constant death and fear.

     "Sorry about that Pink." Black said. He didn't look very sorry.

     "Sure you are." I said with a smirk.

     "I am!" He dropped his small, triumphant smile for a sad puppy face. I chuckled and shook my head.

     "Come on, I'm famished." I said, grabbing his wrist and leading him to to the exit. After every game there's a meal waiting outside the lobby. If it's the first game of the day, you eat quickly and head back out, if it's the second you head to the dorms. We had just finished our last game for the day so as soon as we were done eating we headed to our respective rooms, normally we'd all hang out in the common room, but inspections were this morning at 4am sharp, so we were all exhausted.

     I yawned. "Goodnight black, I'll see you tomorrow." I said nonchalantly.

     "Good night." He responded as I closed the door to my room. Our rooms were small, about ten feet by ten feet, all I had in mine was a bed along with a sleep suit, which is just like a regular space suit, but it was ten times more comfortable, a stand to leave my suits on, and a few small things for entertainment.

     I held my breath in the moment between the two suits, left my day suit out to refill on oxygen, flopped onto my bed, and fell asleep instantly.

A.N. Sorry for all the monologue, I just need to make sure you knew how the world worked.