a. Winning Twice

He could not help the smile anymore.
He had his fists tightly clenched under the table and eyes closed out of fear- fear that the hope he was holding in his fist would slip past. It was only when his table came alive with cheers, did he register the name that was announced. His eyes flew open and he stood up in confused awe,his mind barely keeping up with the patting on his back. Still in half denial,his gaze flickered towards the left of his table and found her eyes, shining,with happiness.

He could not help the smile anymore.
“Ms Preeti, and Mr. Keertan Tibrewala have won the Rajastan Influencer of the year award, owing to the astounding success of their wedding planning firm, Shaadi Mubarak! A huge round of applause for our stars!” Mr.Raunak shouted. He was one of the jury members, and a stalwart in the business industry, his publishing firm acclaimed all over India.

KT smiled widely as his mother hugged him while his father smiled proudly. He had done it. No. His eyes found her again, embracing Kusum who was probably way happier for her saheli. Yes, they had done it.

Moving around the table, he walked towards her and signaled towards the stage. Nodding, with the brightest smile he had ever seen, they walked towards the stage, side by side.

“Congratulations, Ms. Preeti and Mr. Keertan”, Smiling they accepted the trophy and the cheque, and faced the camera, their head held high.

“I happen to have another surprise for our influencers”, Mr.Raunak announced as he went up to the podium. “My enterprise, SteelWills will be investing in Shaadi Mubarak.  And I’m doing this not because they won this award, no, I first hand witnessed the work ethics these two displayed when I attended a wedding they had planned. It wasn’t brilliant, no, it felt simply so intimate that I couldn’t help but think this is what our Indian weddings should be like. So, congratulations once again!”

After exchanging greetings as Raunak took off stage, KT was handed over the mike. He glanced around the hall and felt respected, real respected. Felt good.

“A star of the bygone years whose brightness had fizzled out in this age of talents, is what I was called- He smiled as Preeti lightly touched his shoulder in a gesture of understanding, “I never had much motivation following the fallout in my personal life. I smiled every day, to hide the failure I felt inside of me and yet couldn’t do a thing about.  But then something pricked-

He paused passing a meaningful glance in Preeti’s direction who just rolled her eyes. KT chuckled, “It had started off as something along the lines of Strike while the iron is hot, my chachu wanted me to work not because they were ashamed, but because they wanted me to live again. And Damn,I rose to the challenge!”

His voice picked up fervor as he took a step forward. “I am what I am today, because of my family who have always supported me. But I am where I am today because of someone who rejected me, brutally-none other than my partner- Preeti ji!”

Preeti groaned as KT turned to face her. He seriously was a petty man!

“I may have had boasted of business skills, but she had magic in her thoughts. I realized it, and then it took a lot of coaxing and pleading to make me her business partner. A work that had started off as a means to earn myself back, became my happiness. Shaadi Mubarak is not a business for me, us, it’s the light that brightened both of our lives, to the bestest we had ever wanted it to be. Thank you!”

A thunderous applause rose, as KT stepped back and handed over the mike to Preeti.

“How can I- Preeti mumbled, her smile fading into worry lines. At this, KT glared at her,his fingers tightened around her fingers, which he had forcefully wrapped around the mike.