Watch

The cat watched the city speed past from the safety of a window ledge, he had watched the city change and grow for years now and always from the safety of the same window ledge. He had seen when the city had been rolling hills and fields, he had breathed the sweet fresh air that was carried in the morning breeze. He was there when the humans came and scared away the wildlife that had lived there for generations and he had watched it all. He had watched when the humans built their cabins and watched as they turned the rolling hills and fields into factories and mills, they had built dams and polluted the water that had been fresh and clear, they changed everything and he had watched them do it. Overtime the buildings grew taller and more intricate and they blocked out the remaining blue sky that hadn't been filled with smoke and steam and he had watched as they built roads and covered up the last grass that clung to a broken string of life, regret flooded over him, he should have stopped them, he sighed, he had given up that thought years ago when the humans came. Life had been beautiful before the humans came to the rolling hills and fields and he didn't know what being alive right now was like because he wasn't and as the sun rose up through the smoke filled air the cat faded away into the dawn.