Jealousy, and Changes

You know living life with your big brothers protecting the city, saving the world, fighting crime. That all sounds great doesn't it, yeah well it may sound great at first, but when you lose your parents and the only ones who can be there for you are off saving the world. It gets ruff, they're never there for me, there's always someone more important. The only time we ever get to talk is at dinner. We talk about the kind of villains that they face, as it helps them to get to talk about it, but....they tend to forget that I'm here. They also neglect to see the many bruises on my arms, the white powder in my hair, and the crying in the middle of the night. That's the price you have to pay when your brothers need to save the city, they can't be there for you, you need to learn to work on your own. I've never been one to rely on anyone else. Today is a new day.

I slowly got up, waking up anymore is like rising from the dead. Although I guess I stopped caring a while ago, I slowly walked into my closet. My school didn't have uniforms so we could pretty much wear whatever as long as it didn't violate the dress code. My brothers didn't like what I wore because it used up a lot of laundry soap. I wear the same thing every day so it needs to be washed every 3 days. It's an old sweater that my dad had gotten for his birthday one year. I never liked it that much but when they died in the attack I didn't care if I liked it or not I wanted to keep the sweater, to always remind me of someone who was there for me. Sometimes I wonder, why wasn't I the one in the building that day. Why them, they contribute a lot to the world than I do. I never really understood. I begin walking down the stairs. "Are you really going to wear that old sweater again?", Andre exclaimed. "Well, what if I just like to wear it.", I shot back, I have had it up to here with him criticizing me for warning it.

"No, I think you're just getting caught up in the past again."

"Well, at least I acknowledge that it happened!"

"You think we don't, you seem to put yourself on a pedestal, well let me tell you the world doesn't revolve around you."

My face turned a deep shade of red. I shoved my nails into my palm so hard I drew blood.

"Yeah, I know that! What makes you think I don't!" I was screaming now, I know Andre doesn't like when we scream, it hurts his ears, but at that moment I didn't care.

"That's all that's been installed in my mind since the day you three decided to fill in for them!"

"ALICIA BAKER, THAT IT ENOUGH, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO RAISE YOU VOICE AT ME!"

I felt the tears begin to well up in my eyes, I grabbed my bag and sprinted out the door. I felt the tears start to trend the burning trail down my face, it stung, it always did. It was always the same, they didn't care about me. I was never worth their time. I heard Heath screaming for me to stop, but I couldn't be bothered to look back. I'm so tired, tired of always being the one left out, tired of being the one who gets blamed for everything. At this point I was no longer in the mood for school, they wouldn't notice I was gone so what was the point.

I would just say I had some family business to attend to, that was always the cover story we used for my brothers. I sat and I waited under the Sakura tree that had comforted me so many times. The cool breeze swirled around me as the soft, silk like touch of the Sakura blossoms landed on me. I remembered when this tree came to be. I had just developed my "gift". Now my "gift" developed on the day my parents died. The villain was imminently apprehended, but I didn't understand when they told me they had died to save the city. I was desperate to find something to comfort me, I placed my hand of the chilled soil in the woods, my thoughts raged. I thought about how unfair it was, how they shouldn't have died, how things could have been different, what the last thing they said to me was, how everyone else would react. From my pain I felt the smallest of twigs emerge from the soil, it quickly grew until it became a grand Sakura tree. It has comforted me ever since that day. Nobody but the knows that I also have a "gift". My brothers think I'm powerless, and I....don't even know the limitations of my power.

I sat there, the tightness in my chest got worse, and the stinging in my eyes sent tears that I was powerless to prevent from spilling over. I wanted so many things in that moment. I wanted my brothers to be in my life, I wanted my parents back, I wanted the kids in school to stop picking on me, I wanted the world to go away. So many thoughts filled my mind as to many ideas, and images flashed through my mind. My mind could function faster than anyone else in the world, its a side effect of my power. But in times like this when every thought is the same and different, but yet all centering around the same thing, I was becoming overwhelmed again. I couldn't think anymore. I could no longer grasp what was in my head and what was real. I hated this feeling, I hated being here, I hated my brothers, I hated the villains, I hated the world........I hated myself. All my life I had tried to be important, I had tried to make my family proud of me. But to them I am near the bottom of their list of things they care about. There is always, and will always be someone more important than me, AND I HATED IT.

A single thought flew by my mind, and I quickly recalled it. I chuckled to myself, if my brothers saw this thought I wonder what they would think. As I played with the idea in my mind the tightness in my chest only increased. My vision went red hot as I realized, I was right. The city would always be more important than me. But there was one thing that hurt me the most. Why did the people who dedicated their lives to hurting others get to spend more time with my only family than me. My anger vanished just as quickly as it had arrived. I wasn't important, I would never be important, I didn't matter. Everyone had instilled that in my head since the beginning. This is how my life is. But.....

That's when another idea began to form, well, less of an idea and more of an image. It was me....I think? I was wearing something different, something I would never wear normally. I had on a black leather jacket that went down to my feat, the forked bottom blew in the wind separating it from me slightly, my pale blond hair was tied in a high ponytail, I had on a black skirt that went down to my thighs, they had two red stripes that went across the edges. On my feat I looked like I had on some black Maryjane's. Finally I had on a plane black shirt. I observed the image further, and saw something that looked like a laser beam covering my eyes, they looked to be connected to something around my ears. Was this supposed to be a mask? I sat there, looking at the woman that stood in the image, she looked capable, she look amazing, and confident. She's a villain, and not a small time one, one that keeps the hero's chasing after her. Could I really ever bring myself to do that? I thought about it more, so many other thoughts welled up inside me, until the anger, and despair rushed out of me. I slammed my balled fist into the tree, a devastating crack coming from my knuckles.

I was weak. how could I ever hope to be anything that could stand up against my brothers. Then I heard it, and I felt it. The shifting, the moving, the horrible sounds coming from my hand. I watched in horror as my bones repositioned themselves, and melded back together. My hand was no longer bleeding, in fact there was no evidence I had ever gotten hurt in the first place. I starred at my hand a while longer, not believing what had just happened. I had never known what my power was capable of before. Could I also be a healer? I began walking back to our house, my brothers would have left for school by now. I wonder, if my power can do things like that, is there any hope that I could be like the woman in my image?