i'm here for you-gilbert blythe

you never quite understood why all the girls at school though gilbert blythe was so dreamy. atleast to you, you thought he was snobby and wasn't all that. you didn't really have a reason for it. you just thought it.

gilbert hasn't been at school for awhile. you're not sure why because you really could care less.
you walked in the crunchy snow to the schoolhouse. billy andrews and his friends were throwing snowballs at each other. the girls were probably inside the schoolhouse gossiping.

when you walked into the school house, just that was true. while you were walking to your desk you shared with ruby, you heard some horrible news. "i can't believe his father died. i feel so bad for him. left all alone. we should make him some shepards pie and drop it off at his house.", ruby whispered to diana.

you sat down and put your books onto your desk. "what happened? who's father died?", you questioned. "gilbert's father died just this morning. so tragic.", she said on the verge of tears. you spaced out thinking about how bad you felt for him.

you knew how he felt. your mother died when you were very little. you were so heartbroken for a really long time. eventually, you realized that she wouldn't want you to be so sad. so, you tried your best to not think about it.

after school, mr.phillips called you up to his desk before you left. "ms.y/l/n, please drop this off to gilbert's house. don't want my best student to lose track." "yes, mr.phillips. have a good day.", you responded.

you thought all about gilbert's father on the way to his house. you didn't know if you should bring up the subject. knowing, it is very hard to go through.

you walked up the steps of the two story house. you quietly knocked on the door. no answer. you knocked again. no answer. "gilbert? gilbert blythe? i have your schoolwork! mr.phillips told me to drop it off!", you yelled.

you stepped back, ready to leave his house. then, you heard the door open. you turned around to see a slouched curly haired boy. his eyes were puffy and he looked sadder than usual. "hey gilbert!", you gave him a soft smile.
"hey...", he said softly. "is that for me?", he asked. "oh yeah. i almost forgot what i came here for! uhm here is your schoolwork for this week. mr.phillips didn't want his best student to get behind!, you exaggerated trying to make him laugh. unfortunately, it didn't work.

"oh uhm, thanks", he said trying to smile but he just couldn't. you handed him his schoolwork. he took it and put it on the table beside the door. "and i'm sorry about what happened. i know how you feel. my mother died when i was little. for awhile, i just wanted to be with her. you know? but just think. you're father wouldn't want you to be sad.", you said trying to make him feel a slightest bit better.

he gave you a weird look. "you don't know what you're talking about! you know nothing about my father! just leave please.", he yelled. you got so suprised by his sudden act of anger. it caused you to jump. "i-i didn't mean it like that. sorry, gilbert.", you said sadly.

you walked down the steps of the blythe house. you were so confused on why he acted like that. you were just trying to help. yet again, that's how you acted when your mother died.

~flashback~
"y/n. it will be fine. you have me.", your father said. "we can get through this together.". "NO FATHER! THINGS WILL NOT AT ALL BE THE SAME! WHO WILL GIVE ME ADVICE ON BOYS, OR BRAID MY HAIR, OR MAKE ME NEW DRESSES FOR SCHOOL, OR HELP ME WITH FRIEND PROBLEMS!", you yelled. your screams echoed through the empty house. "listen y/n, i know i'm always busy with work but, i'm going to be there for you from now on.", your father assured you.
~flashback done~

"he just needs some time.", you said to yourself. it's been a few weeks since your "argument" with gilbert. he finally decided to go back to school this week. you kept catching him staring at you from the corner of your eyes. you tried to give him space by paying no attention to him. gilbert though that you were mad at him and ignoring him. so, while you were walking home from school, he followed you.

you were looking around at the beautiful trees around you when suddenly, you heard snow crunching behind you. you quickly turned around to see gilbert. "oh, hi.", you said. "look, y/n, i didn't mean to snap at you like that the other day. it's just things are hard for me right now.", he said. "gilbert, it's alright! i understand what you're going through. and i'll be here for you no matter what.", you said with a smile on your face.

then, something happened that you never would guess. he hugged you. the guy who you despised hugged you. but, the thing is, maybe he isn't that bad. i mean he does have a charm. and he is quite nice.

you hugged him back. and you two stayed like that for what seemed like forever.

————————————————————————

hi guys! sorry i haven't been writing for awhile! i just got through a writers block! but, i hope you enjoyed! have a great day! 🥖🧺

word count: 922 words