Luz's Realization

"Time to wake up!" Hooty called through my window at 8:00 on Monday morning.

I pulled the blanket over my head "What time is it Hooty" I croaked.

"8:00!" Hooty said "time for school!"

"Oh no!" I threw off my blankets and jumped out of bed. "I'm gonna be late!" I got dressed as quickly as I could, grabbed my bag, and zipped downstairs. I said a quick goodbye to King and rushed out of the house.
*********************************************************************
I got to school on time somehow (thank goodness) and met Willow and Gus.

"Hey!" I said to them "what did I miss?"

"There's a new girl" said Willow. "She transferred from Glandus High"

"That's so cool!" I said "We should go introduce ourselves!" I scanned the campus for any unfamiliar faces, and then I saw her. She had short, curly black hair, and glittering emerald green eyes. From the color of her uniform, she looked like she was in the abomination track. Standing next to her, was Amity.

I felt a weird twinge in my stomach, but decided to ignore it. I walked up to Amity and the new girl.

"Hi Amity!" I said, and then to the new girl, "Hi! You must be the new girl! I'm Luz, and this is Willow and Gus."

"Yes." Said the new girl, she spoke in a deep, and mature sounding voice. "Amity has been telling me about you."

Amity blushed. (She does that a lot. I still don't know why. It's probably just an Amity thing.)

"I'm Emerald" Said the new girl

"Ohhhh like your eyes!" I said

"Yeah, I get that a lot" Emerald said.

The screaming bell rang.

"Oh! Time for class!" I said. "See you guys in abomination!"

"She studies all the tracks." Amity's explained to Emerald. "Thats why her uniform is multicolored."

"Yup! That's me!" I said "now we should really get going before principal Bump puts us in detention." I shuddered. I'd had bad experiences with detention.
********************************************
When it was time for abomination, I walked over to go sit by Amity, but Emerald was already sitting next to her. I felt that weird twinge in my stomach again. It was really unpleasant this time.

Emerald must've noticed me standing there, because she said "Oh, this was your seat, wasn't it. I can move....if you want me to" she looked down at her desk sadly.

"No, no, it's fine." I said, the twinge in my stomach growing more intense. "I can sit somewhere else. I don't mind"

Emerald looked up and smiled. "Thanks Lucy!" She said.

"It's Luz." I said, and went to go sit down in the only empty seat, all the way in the back.

The rest of the day went on like that. I tried to sit at the lunch table with Amity, Gus, Willow and Emerald, but Emerald said there wasn't any room. I tried to hang out with Amity during free period, but Emerald pulled her away to study. By the end of the day, I was in a really bad mood. That twinge in my stomach hadn't left since abomination class.

I must've been sulking, because Willow asked "Luz, what's wrong?"

"Oh," I said "I dunno. It's just, Emerald has been spending the whole day with Amity, and... I have this weird twinge in my stomach and it doesn't feel good. I...I just don't like it. What's going on?"

Willow was silent for a second. "You're jealous" she said.

"I'm what?" I asked "Why would I be jealous?"

"Because Amity is spending more time with Emerald than with you, and that's making you jealous."

Huh. I hadn't thought about that. But then, why wasn't I jealous when she hung out with Willow or Gus?

"I should get home." I said. "Thanks Willow. I'll see you tomorrow."

That night I dreamed about Grom night. Me and Amity dancing, and defeating Grom together. I asked her who she was gonna ask to Grom. This time, Instead of throwing the paper away, she showed it to me. And it said, "EMERALD." I was not happy about that. The twinge in my stomach became unbearable, and I ran away, on the verge of tears.

I woke up very confused. What does that mean? I thought about what Willow has said, about the twinge being jealousy. But why would I be jealous if Amity asked Emerald to Grom?Then I made the connection. I had a crush on Amity.

I caught up with Willow when I got to school. "Can I tell you something?" I asked her.

"Of course!" Said Willow

"Ok, this might sound crazy but...I think I have a crush on Amity." I said.

"Oh, I know." Said Willow.

"YOU KNOW?" I said, probably a little to loudly, because a couple students glanced in my direction.

"Well yeah." She said calmly "I mean, I had my suspicions, but you being jealous about Emerald just confirmed them. If we're being honest though, I didn't think you would ever figure it out."

"Hey!" I protested.

Willow started to laugh, and after a couple moments I joined her, and we laughed like maniacs. Amity came over to us.

"Hey guys. What are you laughing about?" She asked, which, of course, just made us laugh harder.

"I'll tell you later" I promised. And we walked together to class.