Chapter 9: I is for insecurities

(Copyright Disclaimer: The above image does not belong to me)

~~~~~~~~~~

A week later, things are almost back to how they were. The classes start again next week, and so, unlike what I said I was going to do, I've been working as many shift possible, covering the ones I missed from the exam period and doing a few extras in case the new semester keeps me busier than usual.

So here I am, calling manager Unnie from 'Bora coffee shop' asking for any available shift I can take.

"Is there really no more empty slots for morning to afternoon shift?"

"No, Y/n, sadly, everyone is healthy and can come to work."

"Maybe you can take a break and I can work your shift. You've been working hard, Unnie."

"Aigoo, this one. Don't you think you're turning into a workaholic these days?"

"Not really."

"Are you sure? Did you or did you not call the manager at the convenience store too to ask for extra shifts?" Shit. She got me. "See!" she laughs again.

"No no, I'm not a workaholic. It's just some kind of shift-savings so that I can be a bit more relaxed once the semester starts again. Besides—" I grab the side of my neck, wondering how to phrase my thoughts.

"Yes?"

"Does the shop have a policy regarding its staff members' hairstyle or colour?"

She pauses for a moment. I picture her staring at the ceiling remembering the entire guideline, though I'm sure that's not what she's doing. After all, she doesn't need to do that. She memorised it by heart. "I don't think so. As long as it doesn't bother or intimidate the customer, I guess that's alright."

"Wow, that's— Very vague."

"I know right. But that's a good thing. More freedom for everyone. What hair can intimidate people anyway? A meter-high mohawk? And I don't think many people are even brave enough to pull off a mohawk or an extreme mullet. Maybe subtle ones, but subtle won't scare people away," she says. "It might even attract more people. Now that I think about it, Y/n, why don't you get an eye-catching hairstyle? Maybe that can raise our sales."

"Don't ever mention that in front of Hunnie. Don't plant any strange seed in her mysterious brain. I'm gonna be her hair model next week and she might just do that," I sigh. Her snickers are muffled through the phone.

"If you show up with some sort of weird hairstyles, I'll consider giving you one of my shifts."

"So that's your price."

"Of course it should require that much determination. After all, it's my precious shift."

"Unnie."

"Yes, Y/n?"

"I lost."

"I'll see you tomorrow! At the usual time and not earlier," she chirps before cutting the line.

~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, I wake up at six. I'm deeply compelled to immediately change and walk towards the coffee shop but I realise that I can't do that. Not because I'm incapable of doing so, more like I'm not 'allowed'. At the usual time and not earlier, manager unnie said yesterday. So in the morning, I take things slow. I sip my cup of coffee instead of downing them like there's no tomorrow. I even took the time to to take care of my toenails and clip them nicely, making sure they're not disgusting, even though no one will ever see them because all I wear are shoes. Yet, I still do it out of boredom.