Chapter 7: Runaway

- Ten Years Ago -
(OFF's POV)

My life is one hell of a roller coaster ride.

One day I'm up, high as a merry go round, the next day, I found myself falling on the deep shallow bottom of a well, unable to climb back up. Alone, where the cold breeze slowly entered my body.

To avoid disappointments, I've always chosen the easy path. With no expectations, I will not be hurt. With no strings attached, I will remain whole.

But who would've thought that meeting someone could change my whole perspective? The wall I so desperately built up was broken down into pieces in just one snap.

A smile.
All it took was a smile.
As if I was taken over by some magic spell.

As corny as it sounds, love does move in mysterious ways.

And I was its victim.

***

The only constant thing in my life is studying. I wasn't particularly good nor bad at it. To say the least, It's not as if I like studying. Nevertheless, I kept on doing my best because studying is the only thing that won't betray you nor your expectations. You study hard, you get good grades. And good grades will help me get a stable job in the future. I went to college thinking I'd sit idly by in a corner, waiting for graduation to finally arrive so I could finally execute my plans.

Tay Tawan is my best friend.
"The son of the sun" as he calls himself.

A cocky, selfish, rich bastard I met on the beginning of secondary school. Weirdly enough, we sure got along and I will always be thankful to him for saving my life. Literally and figuratively. He helped me restore my relationship with my mom and gave me hope that everything will be better in no time.

But don't tell him that or he'll go on and on about how great he was.

Annoying.

But he's the person I trust the most.

I went on thinking that I needed no one else in my life besides my mom and my one and only friend. But then that day arrived, and my life changed.

***

College.

I took up Culinary course without thinking much. I may not look like it but cooking is one of my favorite things to do. Whenever I want to distract myself from all my bad thoughts, I'll go to the grocery store, buy some ingredients and cook. My own form of therapy.

Since I've only ever had Tay as my friend, and he's studying on a different faculty, I was nervous. After all these years of isolating myself, I don't know how to befriend people anymore. I ended up overthinking when I haven't even set foot in my classroom.

I walked inside and looked up to see everyone interacting with each other. On the other side, friend groups were formed. I sat quietly in the back, near the window trying to compose myself and relax.

"Hi!"

I wonder if Peng has friends already. I should ask him to introduce me to some freshmen too.