After Dinner

There is phone sex towards the end of this lovely readers. :) 'About time' I hear some of you say? Patience my lovelies! Read on, *** tells you where to skip if you're so inclined. PS it's long too. And my second update for today so you are also welcome!

Chapter 13

Scott's POV

Dinner was stiff, formal and my parents were being totally weird. The friends that Mom had asked over were nice ladies from her Club. One had brought her daughter though, and she was the obvious "young person" addition to the group for my benefit. The only problem was that we had nothing in common, besides the obvious parent connection. She was not male, and she was not Mitch. So I made small talk and basically listened to her whole life story. I could tell she thought I was physically attractive, because she kept blushing whenever I offered a compliment or asked a specific question to show I was paying attention.

She was a nice sort of girl. I could tell she was the apple of her mother's eye, but she was very sheltered. She had no real life experience. She had gone to the local 'posh' school and had done some volunteer work, however she had not travelled much. Her point of view was very insular and though her mother obviously thought I was looking for a wife, this person before me was neither my intellectual equal nor my ideal in a partner. I was nice, polite and then made it obvious to her mother that she was not what I had in mind when I started talking about my life in L.A.

I made it clear that I liked living there, that the sort of person I would be interested in would be able to operate in that kind of environment. I raved about a friend, specifically his wife who was fluent in 4 languages and could deal with foreign investors in his projects. Michelle looked like she thought I was no longer an ideal match, the more I revealed about how the industry worked over there and all the work that was involved in a partner's life. I think she was looking for a wealthy man to give her a life of luxury, not put her to work for him. My life was involved, I'm not going to lie. Back in L.A. I was fortunate I had Janene to look after me. I don't think my life would have been as affluent without her organizational skills.

She was like my personal assistant/calendar keeper/hostess. Thinking about all that she did for me, I realized that I needed 1) to organize a raise with the treasurer, and 2) to send her some flowers. She might be the Orchestra's secretary, but she had become indispensible to me personally and I would need to find someone to fill her shoes if I went back. I knew Sean would be her new project. Next time I went online I'd have to look for something nice for her as well as the flowers. Filed for action.

As dinner drew to a close I could tell that some communication had occurred between Michelle and her mother and it had been decided that I would not be a suitable match for her precious daughter. My farewell while not exactly frosty was not as warm as my reception had been at the beginning of the evening. Phew.

Mom and Dad were still giving each other strange looks. If I had heard their conversation I would have understood that by raving about my friend's wife, I had made them question the conclusion they had drawn during the course of the evening.

Connie understood at the end though, with Sheila's less than enthusiastic farewell. 'Oh, he was making sure Michelle understood she wasn't in contention for the position of life partner, not that it was not a female Scotty wants.'

When Sheila and Michelle and the rest of the ladies had left, Mom said, "Don't worry Dear, I don't think Michelle is the one for you is she? We won't ask her to dinner again. Anyone you have in mind for a partner at dinner if we do something like this again?" She was obviously fishing for some idea of who I would like to invite to dinner. Without coming out, I couldn't really tell them my ideal partner was Mitch.