Part 29

Nine

The car ride felt a little off, although it had been two hours. I was sitting at the back seat. Jay was driving and Joong sat beside him at the front. There's a sizzling tension coming from the two person who always treated each other liked brothers before. 

"Ehem, well, Jay, how did you come to work at the company?", I tried to ease the awkward silence by making small talk.

"I graduated quite late Nine. So, it did pose difficulties finding vacant positions with my age, without a prior experience too", Jay said and became somber, must be remembering the hardship that he faced at the time, "I came to know about a job search web, and registered. After a few weeks, I was called for an interview at this company. I went for it, and was immediately asked to come for work on the next day, as the president's assistant! I thought it would be an old man, but was surprised to see such a young man at the seat".

"You became Joong's assistant as soon as you entered? That was rare, to place a newbie in such important position. Your qualification must be excellent!", I said in wonder.

"I didn't know the reason and was surprised too, well, since the president is here, maybe you should just ask the exact, right person...", Jay said without even turning to look at Joong. I waited for Joong to answer, but Joong just remained silent.

"Well, it seemed my boss not in a mood for a conversation, maybe next time, Nine", Jay said calmly. But, I couldn't help but notice the obvious twitch in Joong's jaw, meant he was a bit angry.

"Do you really want to hear the answer right now, Jay. I don't mind to tell if you don't mind for Nine to hear them", Joong suddenly said.

"Wait, just stop it there. Do you guys think I couldn't sense the tension from the start? I was trying to be civil, and just eased the situation with small talk. But, if both of you insist to rile each other up, then we all should either shut up, or stop for a lunch".

"Oh...your med. Sorry, Nine", Jay said and drove till we stopped for some food. As we waited for food, I looked at the two stoic faces in front of me. People would think they were my bodyguards, both tall and well built, wearing a sleek dress too. I was the only one with a rather casual shirt and jeans. Joong was supposed to come back from a vacation, through the airport, so, it was not weird for him to wear a branded shirt again, brought by Jay from the city. But, sitting at the small food stall on the side of the road, such luxurious look, really seemed funny to me, and earned glances from other people too.

"What happened in a week between the two of you, that I had lost the knowledge of? Hmm? Why being so sensitive with one another?", I asked while drumming my fingers on the table. Why do I feel liked a mother scolding two bickering kids?

"Joong, what did you do?", I asked and Joong eyes widened in disbelief. Jay suddenly spurt a little laugh.

"Ah, thank you Nine, for having a keen eyes and know who's the culprit", Jay said, and sipped the hot coffee that had just arrived.

"Nothing, Nine. Just an old gruff that had yet to be settled", Joong said with a stinky eyes towards Jay. The food started to arrive too, and we all ate in silence.

Joong

"You are mean, Jay. You dare to provoke me in front of Nine", I grumbled to Jay while waiting for Nine who went to the toilet.

"What should I do? He asked a question, should I just ignore him, then?", Jay said with a smirk and shook his head, "You are being awkward since I arrived at the village. What was that? A self-imposed guilt trap, hmm? I'd told you, I haven't decided anything yet".

"So, you taunt me just to see me in temper? Is this your way of punishing me slowly?", I asked, feeling a bit hurt.

"My God, Joong. Loosen up a little. Trust people a bit, will you? If I want to punish you, I'll just punch your face, not holding it in or doing it subtly too. Would you feel better, if I used gentle words, pleading you to talk? Or whine?"

"Urgh, no, don't! Imagining it alone made me tremble in distaste. Yes, alright. I'll treat you as usual. Sorry, Jay...but before we could talk it out, I still feel a little...uneasy". Jay nodded in understanding.

"The legal team is meeting Nine tomorrow. I had already advised them about the terms. So, in these few months, will Nine stay with you? Or with his family?"

"We haven't talked it out", I said. Jay looked worried, "Joong, could you persuade him to stay with you. I really have a bad feeling about the guy, he is not afraid to move. Maybe, because he is the authority, he could use whatever way. It is safer if Nine is around you".

"I couldn't keep him in a cage, Jay. He should be able to live freely, but of course, to keep him safe, must be a priority too. Had I made a wrong move? He is again becoming the target, Jay, just liked in Uni".

"Hmm, too late to change anything, Joong. Besides, you shouldn't live in a cage too. Don't stop living just because of what you fear; instead, you should live as fully as you wanted. Bad things happened, whether he is with you or not. Now that I had time to think back, this guy had purposely instilled that fear in you from the start, when he knew that your weakness is Nine.  I admit, I was absorbed in that thinking too, and almost forbid you to be with Nine. But, after dealing with him, I could see the sneaky way he's controlling our moves. In the end, he still would do what he wanted. Even if we give him the list, I trust he would still not leave us in peace".

"Alright, I'll try to talk to Nine, but really, I am quite bad with persuading someone, this might end in disaster", I grunted in exasperation.

"Just kiss him senseless, and caught him offguard, he might agree when his feeling is unguarded", Jay said cheekily.

"Yeah, right, Jay. That is from the movie, if I do that with Nine, he will immediately know something is off".

"Then, the only option, is to tell him all the gory truth. Would you dare, Joong?"

"Dare to do what?", Nine's voice that was coming from our back, was a little surprising. Either he was light on his feet, or we were too focus on the issue at hand.

"Joong wanted to kiss you senseless, but is too shy to do it", Jay said and walked away to the car.

"You skunk!", I shouted to his back, and could only give an awkward smile to a blushing Nine who walked away too.