Part 38

Joong

I was again standing alone at the balcony. Nine was asleep, I made sure of that before I extricated my limbs that surrounded him in a bear hug. He was liked my comfort pillow, a petite but warm pillow. His scent, his body heat, the movement of his undulating chest, breathing deep and consistent, liked calming chants that quietened my messed-up mind. But, after a while, my sleep was again disturbed, I woke up feeling hollow again and thus, here I was, failing to keep up my promise and taken a puff outside, in the end.

Jay would resign in another two weeks. I laughed bitterly, thinking once again, someone had enough of me, that leaving was more alluring than staying with a crackling fire. He didn't even ask the rest of the story that I had yet to tell. Maybe, he didn't have the patience to listen and to keep being civil too; thus the only option was to leave everything as it is.

The only question on my mind was, the reason he had yet to give the list down to my hand. I knew that the list was already given, when my mom couldn't wait to pack her bag and leave the country. I had given the proprietary power to the lawyer, to release the inheritance as soon as my mother called. Jay did say that the officer made him an offer, and I wouldn't be surprised, if now that things had gone this way, Jay chose the other side. I didn't feel angry even if he did. Just a little dissapointed, that I was trusted less than that corrupt force.

All I could do, was start again from point zero, alone. No more. I won't ever try, to develop any form of new attachment anymore. The belief that I always had, that people just come and go in your life, seemed to not be proven wrong till now. A dead father, a runaway mother, a once lost love and now a broken friendship. No need to care, or think too much of the reason why. Damn, then why am I wallowing too much now? Ah, sentiment, the effect of a temporary happiness, of having Nine, having a sort of a family love, and also almost having a chance for a lifetime brother, which I severed totally in the end.

As I was trying to light a second stick, my phone that I put inside my short's pocket vibrated. The call from an unknown number that was once a constant, now suddenly came in again.

"Archen...your minion seemed to not want to listen to me and chose you instead".

"Are you even surprised? What's with the desperation in your voice, are you afraid of what may befall all the shitty people that you wanted to cover up, including yourself?", I was worried, but play it cool, to not alarm the person on the other line. In a fight, the opponent would touch your weak point to disarm you. I wanted to know the reason he said Jay had chosen me.

"No, just to let you know, that he would rather kill a family than let go of you. Ah, I guess, in the end, a living, rich man's coffer, is more beneficial than supporting to keep an almost dead person, alive. The end time is before midnight, but I guess,since this is already mid morning and I didn't receive even a call, meaning he chose not to do it. Then I shall do as promised too, for his failure to comply", the call was ended immediately.

Shit! Jayadee! Why couldn't you just tell me rather than bear the burden alone. My heart was racing, I immediately call Jay's number. I was praying for him to pick it up, after a long ring, the call was answered.

"Where are you?"

"Beside my father...if this is the last time, at least I could be with him, not going to leave him alone".

"Just give him the damn list Jay! It doesn't matter. Just let go. It's not more important than your family... Jay, please!"

"Until when, Joong? If he gets the list, do you think he will stop? He would keep using my family, to attack you from all angle. And, it's for a greater good too. So many corrupted people could be brought to justice, even if two lives might be lost, the greater good would prevail".

"Shut the fuck up about greater good, Jay! You and Por too important to me, the hell with other people. Wait there, I'll come with a protection team too, don't give up, nor open the door to anyone. Even the medical staff! I trust no one right now!".

Immediately, I made a call to the security team that I highly trusted, one that help me to investigate, capture and put all the kidnappers in jail. The previous owner of the company was once my grandpa's trusted security team, and now that the son took over, the arrangement had never changed. My father didn't liked the team because they were incorruptible, making him despise my  strong relationship with them. After I took over the company, all security forces came from them alone, and reported directly to me.

I went into the room, changed my clothes, leaving a note for Nine to not leave the house nor answered the door until I came back. I informed the guard team; one that actually were always around following Nine's movement without his knowledge to not alarm him; to stay alert and guard the area.

It really pissed me off that the officer dared to use someone's life as an exchange. Damn the rule! I'll make my own. With a directive to another "security" team, whom I get to know during my fighting day; I asked them to use their connection to detect that damn human scum, put a half million on his head, made a pulp of him, and left him only enough to breathe, albeit with a great pain, till I get him to the jail floor. At this time, YES, only my dollars, wrote the rules.