~ chapter 4 ~

"Who wanna come to the Dingo with me?" said Two Bit a few hours later.

"Uh, the nightly double instead?" asked Johnny. You knew the Dingo was a place where a lot of fights happened. The Nightly Double was a lot better anyway. The food was good.

"Ok, Nightly Double it is then. Y'all comin'?"

"Can I go Darry?" asked Pony.

"Me too?" you asked. He was still like a big brother to you. And you were staying the weekend, he was in charge.

"Sure. Ya can both go. Take care of em, Two."

"Yah. Right, let's go! Dal, ya comin' too?"

"Might as well." So you all left for the Nightly Double. You all had to walk, Soda and Steve took the car to work. You were halfway there when Two-Bit said, "Hey guys, wait here. I needa use this phone." So you stood there like Two said to. Cept for Dally. He decided to go to the corner store and get some gum.

"Got any money, y/n?" Dally asked.

"Here," you handed him two dollar bills. "You better give me a stick."

"Yeah," he said as he ran across the street. It was around four o clock. Two Bit came walking over.

"Where's Dally?"

"He'll be back, he went to get gum," said Johnny.

"Who'd ya call?" you asked.

"Soda at the DX. I told him an' Steve to meet us there when he gets off in an hour."

A minute later, Dally came back. You all started walking again.

You had arrived at the Nightly Double. You went into the second row, those were the best seats. There was some sort of detective movie where it was obvious who did it but the people in the movie didn't know.

"Can someone come with me to get popcorn?" you asked.

"Sure," said Pony.

"Here," said Two. He handed you some money. "Get some for us too."

"And get me a coke too, will ya?" said Dally.

"Yeah," said Pony as you two walked off.

"Good thing you came, I can't carry all this stuff myself," you stated.

"Yeah," said Pony. You walked back to where the gang was sitting. You and Pony sat near the end of the row. Pony sat at the end and you sat next to Johnny, who sat next to Dally, who sat next to Two-Bit.

Half an hour later, Soda and Steve arrived.

"Hi Soda," you said. "Steven."

"Don't call me that."

"Fine, Steve."

They took the two seats that were left next to Two-Bit.

After 15 more minutes, you started to get tired. It was only six, but you hadn't eaten much today anyway. Just pizza and popcorn. You started to lean on Ponyboy's shoulder. You started to close your eyes, and the noise from the movie turned to static. You fell asleep quickly on Pony's shoulder.

You woke up an hour later. The others were standing over you. You took your head off Pony's shoulder. You glanced at the gang and then Pony. He was sleeping. He must've fallen asleep too. It was a boring movie. "Hi," you mumbled as you looked down at your feet then back up at them. They looked very suspiciously at you.

"What are you doing?" asked Steve.

"Um, I... I was tired, so..umm..."

"So you slept on Pony?" said Dally. He cocked an eyebrow.

"Er, yes. I guess so." You looked at the gang and then to Pony. He woke up.

"What the? Why are y'all standin' over me?"

"Y/n slept on your shoulder," said Sodapop.

"And that's a big deal because...."

"Dummy!" said Dally. "Anyone knows that means a love connection, leaning on the shoulder and all that junk."

"Oh...right." He looked at you. You held eye contact for a second then you both looked back down at the ground. Dally blew smoke in your faces. "C'mon," said Johnny. "Let's just go." You got up from the seats.

Not everyone could fit in the car. You, Pony and Johnny got stuck walking. Darn rock paper scissors. You were horrible at that game.

Johnny was walking a few feet ahead of you and Ponyboy. It was quiet.

"Y/n?" said Pony, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?"

"I.. didn't really mind you falling asleep on my shoulder."

"You didn't?"

"No. It felt... reassuring. I think that's the word."

"You use big words Pony." You bumped against his arm. He did the same to you. His hand slightly brushed yours. You both looked the opposite way. Your hands joined. You started swaying you joined hands back and forth. You met eyes and smiled.

"What will the others say?" you asked.

"Shoot, who cares?" he answered. You smiled.

When you got back to the Curtis' house, the only people there were Pony's brothers. Johnny hadn't paid any attention to you two on the walk home. Sodapop looked down at yours and Ponyboy's hands.

"Why are you....oh. Nevermind." He smiled. Darry and Johnny looked confusedly at Soda. He whispered something in their ears.

"Ohhh.." said Darry.

"Makes sense," said Johnny.

Darry laid out blankets for Johnny. You took one of Pony's shirts and wore your jeans as pajamas.

"Hey, Dar," you said.

"What's up y/n?"

"Can you wash this? There's pizza sauce on it." You gave him your Coca Cola tee shirt.

"Sure. Anything else?"

"Umm, well, are you ok, with...with Pony and me?"

"Yep."

"Really?"

"Mmm-hmm. You're a good person y/n, and you're a good friend."

"Thanks, Dar." You hugged him.

In the middle of the night, you heard a noise. You rubbed your eyes. Johnny's blankets were empty.

"Johnny?" you said tiredly.

"Relax, yeah it's me. I'm just getting water."

"Oh ok." Johnny drank his half full (or half empty whichever way u wanna look at it) and laid down on his pile of blankets.

"Do you wanna switch beds? You look uncomfortable," you asked him.

"Nah, that's ok, I'm fine," he said. And then you fell asleep again.