23| Ache

Chapter 23: Ache (Emma's POV)

He left about 2 hours ago. Before he left, I had him give me his number because, wow, I didn't even have his number. It was almost 9 right now and I had a bad feeling. I don't know if that's just because I know almost for a fact he's gonna show up here drunk, or if it's because I'm just freaking myself out for no reason. I mean, he's not a little kid, he can handle himself, and his relationship with his dad is none of my business. But I'm freaking out thinking of it. 

There is no way he just fell or ran into something when he had that cut and bruise on his face that day. It had to have been from his dad. And as sick as that thought makes me, it's quite possible they just had a fight. He may have said something wrong, his dad may have done something wrong. 

Maybe I should call him. 

I grabbed my phone and called him up. It rang for a really long time and I didn't get an answer. He could be asleep. 

Does he seem like the person to be reading bedtime stories by 9 PM? 

No, no he doesn't. 

"Emmy," my mom peeked her head in through the door. "You've been pacing around for over 20 minutes, what's going on?" she asked. 

"Sorry," I sighed, sitting on the edge of my bed. 

"Is this about Nathan?" she questioned, sitting beside me. 

"Kind of," I mumbled. 

"Honey," she cleared her throat and hesitated, "I don't wanna be intrusive, but... honey, is he all right? At home, with his parents?" she asked. 

"I um, I don't know. He came to school one time with really bad bruises on his face, and I know he lives with his dad but I don't know anything about his mom, I uh, I don't think she's there," I admitted, running my hand through my hair. 

"Is that why he stayed here?" 

I nodded hesitantly. "But mom, you can't tell anyone, he can't know I told you, nobody knows he stays here." 

"He's done it more than once?" 

"Just twice but, he may have to do it a couple times more," I huffed. 

"That's okay, but um, do you wanna give him a call to check up on him?" 

"I tried but he's not answering." 

"Oh..." She fell into silence, slowly nodding. "Well, how far off does he live?" 

"Two doors down," I chuckled. 

"You can go check on him," she shrugged. 

"Mom, I'm literally going to come off as a stalker," I deadpanned. 

"Honey, you care about him. I'm not blind and I'm your mother, you clearly like the boy." 

"I don't know that much about him though," I mumbled, looking at her with uncertainty. 

"You don't need to know someone to like them, what the bloody hell? I'm not saying you're in love with him, I hope you aren't," she looked at me weirdly, "But he's your friend, you like him, you care for him. And he's a pretty boy," she smirked. I laughed, shaking my head. "You can go check on him, he won't think it's weird, I promise. I think he'd rather appreciate it." 

"Really?" 

She nodded again. "Go," she encouraged. 

I stood up and pulled my flip flops and a cardigan on before taking my keys and phone and leaving. There's probably something I should have asked my mom. What the hell do I do if his dad opens the door?