f i v e

The nightfall came and the remainder of the disciples that were out had resigned themselves to their rooms. The air of Gusu was much colder than that of the Heavenly Nightless City, and though Xiaoying had Spiritual Energy coursing through her body, she was also significantly smaller than many of the other disciples, which meant her body had a hard time retaining heat for long.

Xiaoying was armed with a thick outer robe over her current robes, her hands fidgeting as she paced back and forth through her quarters she shared with her sworn brother and sister, Wen Ning and Wen Qing. "Xiaoying... please," Wen Ning's voice breached the still air, and Xiaoying stopped pacing to heave out a small sigh. She understood that her stress and panic was something that wasn't Wen Ning or Wen Qing's weight to bear, but she couldn't help how her mind ran circles with ideas and theories of what the connection could possibly be.

"I'm sorry, Wen Ning. My mind is miles away right now." Xiaoying whispered, sitting down on her bed to where Wen Ning got up and walked over to her. He sat down beside her, wrapping a loose blanket around her shoulders to attempt to keep her warm.

Despite how the dynamics were, with Xiaoying protecting her sworn siblings, Wen Ning always had an elder brother role over her because that was what he was -- though by only a year, and Wen Qing by three, they did their best to protect her as they did them. Xiaoying curled up in the blanket wrapped around her, leaning her head against Wen Ning's shoulder.

It was just then that the doors opened to reveal Wen Qing, the chill bursting in for a moment before she shut them behind her and the breeze was gone. Taking notice to the pair sat together, Wen Qing gave Xiaoying a worried gaze, coming over to sit next to Xiaoying on the other side. "Xiaoying, what happened?" She asked, and Xiaoying let out a bitter laugh before straightening herself, sitting up straight.

"The cultivator from this morning. The one who caused Wen Chao to initiate a fight in the Orchid Room. Do you remember him?" Wen Qing nodded, her brow furrowing. "I do. He gave me much trouble today while I was," she looked to Wen Ning before rethinking what she would say. She didn't want him to know that she was really here for reasons other than lectures. For sinister reasons. "When I was walking around the mountain. He is quite arrogant and talks too much."

Xiaoying nodded, "did you remember his name when he introduced himself to Wen Chao?" She asked, and Wen Qing thought for a moment, her eyes catching Wen Ning's before Xiaoying's. "Wei Wuxian." Wen Qing whispered, earning another shake of the head from the younger girl. "He came to me earlier. After the lecture had finished. He introduced himself to me once again." Xiaoying began.

Taking in a deep breath, Xiaoying continued, looking off as she spoke. "He is Wei Wuxian, from Yunmeng Jiang Sect. He is also known as Wei Ying." Xiaoying said, her voice a bittersweet tone and Wen Qing gasped. "You don't think he could be related to you, do you?" Wen Ning asked, and Xiaoying's hand came to clasp around his and Wen Qing's. "I don't know for sure, all I know is that I feel some kind of pull to him, a need to know him further. I don't know what it is."

Xiaoying stood up, the blanket falling off of her shoulders as she began to pace once again. "I nearly said my name, my birth given name, Wen Qing!" She cried out, exasperated with her actions still. "I caught myself, but... but it came out so naturally. It wanted to come out."

Wen Qing stood up, coming over to take Xiaoying by the shoulders. "Don't worry, Xiaoying. I will investigate it further to find out-" Xiaoying cut her sentence in half with a shake of her head, "no-- you can't, you... you have to-" she looked to Wen Ning, hushing her voice more, "you have to focus on your mission. As I do to mine." Both of Xiaoying's hands covered Wen Qing's hands, on her shoulders fondly. "We can't afford to get distracted."