e i g h t

After the lengthy trip to Colorful Robes Town, the group of cultivators had settled in for the evening at a nearby inn, one that was riddled with dust from top to bottom. Business had been bad for them due to the evil water spirits devouring any who dared fall in the water -- never coming back up to the surface to breathe another breath of air again.

The thought of how they must have felt, the idea of drowning, sent a shiver down Xiaoying's spine.

Everyone was split up into their own rooms upon checking in to the inn since there was enough vacancy, though some still paired off into groups to lodge together. Xiaoying and her Wen Siblings had paired off into their own room, and once alone and settled with the doors shut, Wen Qing and Wen Ning turned to their junior sister with knowing looks.

"Before you say anything-"

Xiaoying was quick to be cut off by Wen Qing's sharp tongue. She hated seeing her angry, much less

disappointed. "Wei Xiaoying. Do you have any idea how foolish of you it was to spar with him? You could have gotten hurt!" She scolded, and each word was enough to drive the knife of guilt further into her chest and twist. "Wen Qing... Senior Sister-" Xiaoying looked up at her with soft eyes, her gaze conveying her apology as best she could. "He had taken my father's charm from me.. He wouldn't give it back without either an explanation or a fight-"

Wen Qing's eyes widened before her brow furrowed, beginning to pace. "He took your father's charm?" She scoffed, "what gives him the right-?" She mumbled to herself, her fists clenching at her sides and she looked to Wen Ning. "Ah-Ning. Stay here with Ah-Ying. I need to have a small talk with Young Lord Jiang-" She stated, turning for the door but just as she got to it, Xiaoying had appeared before her, blocking the way.

"Wait!" Xiaoying protested, "he was just taking care for his sect, Wen Qing. I know I can fix this. I know I can make things right just..." She took a moment to heave out a sigh. The last thing she needed was for Wen Qing to exposed how close they were as more than just clan members. "Just give me a few moments to speak with him. If you go, we will be compromised for sure."

Wen Qing gave Xiaoying a hard look. She knew she was right. And as much as it was hurting Wen Qing inside to allow things like this to pass silently, she knew it was for the best to do so even though every time Xiaoying got knocked down, every time she was hurt whether it be physically or emotionally, she couldn't do anything. Wen Ning came to the two of them from his spot to place his hand on Wen Qing's shoulder soundlessly. With a reluctant nod, Wen Qing stepped back from the door.

"You have a few moments. Any more than that and I will run in there without restraint."

Jiang Cheng's room was only just down the hall from the Wen Siblings, though each step to Xiaoying felt like a mile. She had no idea how to explain her reasoning for having the charm with still being truthful, or if he would even believe her, but as far as she knew the best thing she could do was try.

The door seemed much more intimidating when she was right in front of it, but Xiaoying had faced scarier things. With a single small fist, she reached up, her knuckles tapping once, twice, three times against the wood. Xiaoying waited for a moment, beginning to think he just hadn't heard her, when she raised her hand to knock again just in time for Jiang Cheng to open the doors.

The minute his eyes landed on her form, she dropped her hand and her head under his intense gaze. Lightly bowing a bit, she spoke. "Young Lord Jiang, may we talk for a moment?" She proposed, to which Jiang Cheng's eyebrow raised. "You want to talk? With me?" He inquired out loud, and Xiaoying lightly flinched at how disgruntled he sounded. "I want to explain to you why I have the charm of your sect," her eyes lifted from the floor to his face, not backing down from his glare, "if you, of course, would allow me."