Chapter 1

Wow. My mom is sending me to a crappy summer camp and I don't even get to bring my tools. 

"It's okay, mija! I'm sure that this camp will help you." My mom tried to think on the bright side; I don't think she understands that there is no bright side.

The bus stop is next to our small house near the woods. There's an abandoned house in there somewhere too. I like to hang out there sometimes when I tell my mom I'm hanging out with friends.

"Help me with what?! There is nothing wrong with me and I'm not allowed to bring my supplies!" 

"Luz Noceda! Don't raise your voice with me! You're going to this camp to get your head out of the clouds. I think that this "witchcraft" is a big part of the problem!" Oh gods I really need some lavender right now. My dad would've been on my side if he were here. My dad went missing when I was just a little kid. All I have left of him is an old dream-catcher (which I was able to sneak in my backpack). 

Gods, I hate it when my mom is mad at me. I have no idea what to say anymore. I love her but I just don't get it, you know? After a few seconds I notice that I'm crying. 

"Listen mija," I look up, " There are things that you just won't understand until later in life." What the hell does that mean? "It means that I don't want you getting yourself into things that are dangerous. I lost your father and I don't want to lose you too." 

"Mom." She looked as if she would cry with me. "Yes" "I never asked my question out loud."

My mom's face flashes a bright red. She tries to dodge the comment. "Do you have everything you need for the summer?"  "Yeah....I'm gonna miss you, mom." "Me too, Luz." She pulls me into a hug and I accept. 

After a minute my mom pulls away. "I love you, mija. I have to head into work, but I hope you have a good summer. The bus will be here in ten minutes. Promise you'll text me?"    "I promise mom."

We part ways and I watch her drive away in her small light blue car. 

I've been standing here for about 45 minutes and I'm starting to get hungry. I pull my backpack off my shoulder, and it hits the ground with a thud. Rearranging the contents of my bag, I grab a granola bar and tear off the wrapper. I eat the food in no time and am soon sitting on the sidewalk waiting for the late bus.  

Behind me I hear plastic crunching. I turn around and see a small creature. It had big eyes, brown feathers and small wings...

What was an owl doing in daylight?