A Dinner to Die For

With Sonic and the Wild Kratts

Sonic ran alongside the createrra, the Kratt brothers' all-terrain jeep, and wondered about what had gotten into Shadow lately. Martin looked down at him, while Chris drove and noticed that his blue friend wasn't his normal chipper self.

"What's on your mind, Sonic?" he asked. The hedgehog glanced up at him, not needing to look where he was running. There was nothing but the African plains as far as he could see.

"It's nothing," he answered with a confident grin, hiding what he was previously thinking about, "Just enjoying the run. I don't sense any Chaos Emeralds anywhere nearby. I'm not as strong in that department as Shads is. See anything on that Chaos Tracker?"

The blue clad Kratt looked down at the device in his hand, which looked like a mini sonar combined with a tablet. He frowned when he finally got the results.

"Sorry, man. I got nothin'."

Chris parked the jeep, as they thought about their next move. Sonic tapped his foot and rubbed his chin, while looking at the noon horizon. They still had a lot time before they had to meet up with Shadow and the rest of the crew, and there weren't any Chaos Emeralds in the area.

"Maybe we could go on one of your creature adventures? I can tell Shads that we couldn't find another emerald."

They agreed to go exploring the savannah, but after an hour or so, a delicious scent reached Sonic's nose. He took in a deep breath and licked his lips with a hungry sigh.

"Hamburgers. It may not be chilidogs, but it'll do since I missed lunch," he said to himself before speeding off to follow the appetizing smell. The two humans had to get back in the createrra to follow him. But he was long gone.

"Why would there be hamburgers in the middle of the African savannah? We're at least twenty miles away from the nearest service station," Chris mused to his brother. It suddenly clicked.

"Gourmand!" they exclaimed at the same time.

"SONIC!" Martin tried to tell, but they were too far away for the blue blur to hear.

"Phew! Finally, some chow," the azure hedgehog said to himself. He looked to see what appeared to be an RV, except it was a restaurant too, complete with a full kitchen and dining patio. Sonic whistled.

"What will this world come up with next?" he said to himself and zoomed down to it. He promptly stopped however, when he saw the chef.

"Egghead? How'd you get here? And what happened to your 'stache? You're missing like...all of it. And when did ya get so short? The portal shrink your legs or something? It didn't take any of the rest of your fat; it's sad it took the only skinny part of ya that you had. Why are you even cooking? You've always been a bad cook! Do you have any chilidogs anywhere? What scheme are ya up to this time?" Sonic spoke at a hundred miles per hour, literally, as he ran around the RV in a blue streak.

"What on earth?" the chef yelled and swung his ladle to try to hit the blur buzzing around him, but of course he wasn't fast enough to touch it. Sonic stopped and perched himself out of the human's swing with a burger in his hand.

"Y'know, I'm starting to think that maybe you're not ol' egghead afterall, cause this burger is delicious," he reported absently.

"A talking blue cat?" the man asked himself, and Sonic rolled his eyes. He was getting bored with everyone not knowing what species he was.

"In case you haven't noticed the quills yet, I'm a hedgehog, and yes I can talk. The name's Sonic; who are you?"

Sonic missed the cook rubbing his hands together with an evil chuckle, as two voices yelled, "Gourmand! Stay away from our friend!"