Reunion

Third Person POV

Sonic stood on the roof of the Tortuga with his arms crossed. The highspeed winds ruffled his azure quills as he watched the two Kratt brothers flying in their peregrine falcon power suits. However, he wasn't smiling like usual, but he had a solemn, almost sad, look on his face. Shadow noticed this as he climbed onto the roof, and for a moment he was startled at how similar he looked to himself in that pose. Sonic had his back to him with his head titled upwards, but Shadow knew that he was only pretending to watch. Years of personal experience made it easy for him to tell the difference between paying attention and faking it.

Sonic's POV

I turned my head at the sound of Shadow's skates coming in my direction, but that was all that I moved. I really didn't feel like talking. He came up beside me and crossed his arms, his eyes staring forward in what I thought was a "thoughtful glare". The dude seriously has no other emotion.

"What's on your mind, Blue?" he asked. Gee, talk about straightforward. I looked away. I didn't want to talk about it, but Shadow didn't leave me much of a choice. He only gave me that scary look that always 'talk or I'll kill you' to me in subtext.

"I miss them," I said at last. He nodded in what I assumed was understanding.

"As shocking as this might seem, I do too," he replied, and I faced him. He looked down with his eyes closed and a small smirk. "I miss Rouge constantly getting on me and Omega for fighting or hearing about how mad she made the echidna for trying to steal the Master Emerald."

I chuckled at the thought, "Heh, I miss Tails talking about his new inventions and fighting Egghead. I even miss Amy chasing me!" I added with a down-hearted smile. Wow, I must really miss home if I'm wishing to be chased by her again, hammer or no hammer.

He laid a hand my shoulder and looked me straight in the eye with the most serious face I've ever seen him wear, "We'll go back and see them again. I promise."

I cheered up a bit at that. Whenever Shadow makes a promise, I know he'll carry through with it, "Thanks, Shads. You really are a big softie under all that fluff."

He punched me on the shoulder, and I rubbed it. He really can throw a hit! I'm still not sure if he was be playful or threatening.

"Don't let the altitude get to your head," he replied, and I smirked.

"Fluffy."

He completely stiffened, and I suddenly thought about if I could survive being thrown off this thing. But what he countered with was a lot more surprising.

"Nice try, Puffball."

Back on Mobius. Third Person POV

"Are you sure this will work?" Amy asked timidly. Knuckles nodded.

"It'll work."

"How did you even find out about this?" Tails asked before Rouge could.

"They came back for a few minutes before leaving again. Tikal and Chaos talked with them a little bit before they disappeared again. From what I could gather, they were sent to another world, and Shadow's in some kind of deep water over there."

"I hope Mr. Shadow and Mr. Sonic are okay," Cream said as she hugged Cheese.

"All the more reason to go then," Rouge said, "Fire up that baby and let's move."

"Hold your horses, bat girl," Knuckles grumbled as he strode up to the Master Emerald. He pressed his palms onto the massive crystal and began to chant. It suddenly began to glow, and the wind picked up.