Chapter 2: Goodbye

When Misty stepped foot inside her childhood home, she was surprised how still everything seemed. How neat and orderly things were left. The only thing that caught her eye was a note on the table with her name on it. She swallowed hard and grabbed it, opening the scroll with shaking hands. 

      Misty, my dearest daughter. 
I know an armada of soldiers is heading this way, so just in case I don't make it out of here, I'm writing to tell you about your mother. Things I should've told you years ago. She loved you, Misty. She never wanted to leave us behind, but we couldn't have gone where she was going. The road was so dangerous and you were just a newborn baby. She's alive my dear and waiting for you. I'd go with you if I could, but I'm afraid I won't be making it out of this town. Go to her and seek her help with the upcoming battles and war. Her kind will take care of you if you can make it. I know your friends will take care of you and help you make it there safely. Good luck, little one. Be the woman I always dreamed you would be. 

       Misty was shaking all over now. Tears streamed down her face as she stepped out of their once shared little shack, onto the beach. This was the spot where she and her dad would sit and talk about life on nights just like this one. During the day, she would train with him, sparring and wrestling and laughing. He'd cook fish and clams and whatever else they found that day while Misty would sit and cut strips of leather to make into bracelets and rings. She was making leather armor now thanks to her Artisan Guild. They were just as much family as her dad was to Misty. 

      She turned the letter over and saw a roughly drawn picture of her mother and a map that led to a place called Elven Village. She stared at the picture of her other half. A piece of Misty became increasingly warm deep in her throat. This woman was beautiful.

      Misty hadn't ever thought herself to be anything especially beautiful, but this woman her father had scrawled onto the parchment looked so much like her. The heat in her throat swelled as tears fell down her cheeks.

      She tore her gaze away long enough to look back at the map. The place where her mother supposedly lived was on the mainland straight North of here. A place called the Court of Ages, past the coastal village of Arrin. She'd never even heard of these places before, let alone been there.

      She sighed and turned back towards the chaos that was coming to a close deeper in her little village. The fires were mostly put out, and she saw a group of figures headed towards her. Her friends. 

      Gome was to her first with caring eyes and a hand on Misty's elbow. Godrun came up next, taking the scroll from her outstretched hand. Grugnar fished something out of his nose and flicked it to the side, making Barathor's face scrunch up. His attention turned to Misty and Godrun.

      "What does it say, lad?" His thick dwarven accent rang in the air, leaving Misty feeling even heavier. Godrun didn't answer him, passing the scroll down for him to see for himself, and instead turned to her. His giant orc hand landed on her shoulder. 

      "We'll go with you." His tusks stuck out from his lower lip, giving him a slight slur. Misty bit her lip, waiting to hear what everyone else would say. Nobody dared but Grugnar, who scratched his ass and said,

       "but the war?" This made everyone sigh. Now it was her turn. 

      "I'm going alone.".

       "But-" Godrun started to protest, but Misty cut him off. 

      "I will not allow any more friends and family to be harmed because of me… Please don't make this harder than it needs to be. You are the very best friends a girl could ask for, but I will not let you come with me." Her words hung in the air, sticking to everyone's skin hotly. Godrun didn't look happy at all. In fact, he was steaming. 

      "And we're just supposed to be okay with this?" He turned to the rest of the group. There was a long pause. Barathor finally looked up, but rather than answering Godrun's question, he turned to Misty. 

      "I'd rather you not go alone on such a dangerous quest. Let me at least get someone trustworthy to go with you." His big begging eyes made Misty instantly sad, wishing her father was here to tell her what she should do.

      She just nodded and followed them to Godrun's shack. It was just like it should be. All of them laughing and telling stories while Godrun made jerky and beef stew. It was delicious. Misty shed a few more tears when she left them all in the middle of the night.