Chapter 20

"...Derek?"

Derek's lips twitched. "Not quite." He flexed his hands. "This is a good body." His voice was flat—nearly robotic. And he held his body tall and straight but with the air of someone who felt too short for their own skin. He pointed to Stiles. "I'd like to have the seal now."

Lydia gripped Stiles' shoulder tight and pulled him onto the island.

"Don't do that." In a blink Derek was standing right before them on the platform they just jumped from. "I'm going to need the seal."

Stiles swallowed, trying to figure out what to say. But all he could focus on were Derek's black eyes. Lydia clawed into his upper arm. "I don't understand," Stiles finally said.

"You should give it to me before you all die." Derek loomed over them even though he was on the platform. Lydia pulled Stiles a step back. "If you want your friend back, I suggest you do as I say."

"You're planning to kill us," Stiles said.

"The demon is planning to kill you. Now give me the seal."

"What's going on?" Lydia asked.

Derek slowly looked at her. "There are things you do not know." He eyed Stiles. "You know only a little...but most of it is a lie told by the demon. He took possession of your friend in order to lead you here. He plays games, but he will be here to kill you if you do not give me the seal."

Stiles' gripped tight on the rock. "How do I know you aren't the demon?"

"I am the guardian of the seal. I possess some powers like the demon, but unlike the demon I cannot possess a man unless he is willing. Your friend entrusted his body to me."

Stiles frowned. "I don't believe you. I don't believe Derek would do that."

Derek's body went very still for a moment. "He says," the guardian began, "that you and he have not watched Iron Man 2."

Stiles' face turned bright red. "That doesn't prove anything." It only made Stiles more afraid. If this thing could possess a man and know his every thought...then anyone could be possessed and he would be none the wiser. Which...is what probably happened with Deaton—shit. He grabbed the necklace at his throat.

"That's keeping you awake," Robo-Derek said.

"Why would a demon give this to me?"

"He needed you to find the seal for him."

That made Stiles think. Why would a demon need Stiles to find the seal for him? It was sitting in Beacon Hills the whole time, and if he could find in a few hours then why didn't the demon do the same?

"It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. Those words," he gestured to the paper in Lydia's hands, "are nothing more than bullshit—as you say. There is nothing you can do except give me the seal."

Lydia and Stiles exchanged glances. Neither knew if they should believe Robo-Derek.

"You don't have to trust me. I know the power this body possesses and I will use it. But your friend will not like the both of you dead. So give me the seal." He stretched out an open hand.

Stiles hesitated. His heart pounded in his chest as he looked at the blue orb in his hand. But before he could make a decision, a cold wind rustled the trees. Robo-Derek pulled his hand back and straightened his back.

"He's coming," he said. "If you give the seal to me now, you may escape with your lives."

The water rippled, washing up to their toes on the little island. Lydia and Stiles took another step back, nearly hitting the little shrine behind them. Glancing back, he saw that the house rested on a small tree stump and the doorway had a tiny lip that led to the rim of the basin where a little canal had been carved in a spiral along the edge leading to the bottom of the bowl. And at the bottom, inside three little claws, there was a tiny insignia just like the one he'd seen on Deaton's map. Stiles looked at the sphere in his hand. It's dim inner glow allowed him to make out the markings on all sides. But one was larger than the rest and it matched the one in the basin.