CH 8

Our small trio still remains in the living room, I watch as Klaus nurses his head in hands, suffering from a headache. Every now and then he would mumble or groan, indicating that he was still listening to the conversation happening between Ben and I.

"Why would Luther say you ran? I know that you two didn't get along, but still..."  Ben trails as he attempts to gentle coerce the story out of me. I purse my lips for a mere second, before slowly responding.

"Number Eight abandoned the Academy, Number One. The weak has been weeded out, slowly but surely."

"He made up a lie," I explain, slowly moving my hands around in a showy gesture. "Said I ran away and never cared to look back. That I was selfish and misconstrued, a loss cause."

"I should have known sooner that Number Eight was unable to handle the weight expected to be handled by a member of the Umbrella Academy."

"We all know that Dad sucked," Klaus says from the couch, looking up from his hands to look at his dead friends.  "It isn't a surprise, but at the same time- for him to do this?"

The room is silent as I give a mournful smile to Klaus, wishing I could vanquish the mourning in his eyes. For so long the mourning had swirled, only washed away by the influence of alcohol and drugs. I wished the world had been better to him. I glance over to Ben. I wish the world had been better to all of them.

"Still, it wasn't right for Luther to just believe wholeheartedly that Eve would just-"

"I'm sorry are we talking about the same Luther? Daddy's Little Suckup? Of course he would believe every word out of the man's mouth." Klaus laughs languidly, thinking of all the times Luther took Reginald's side over everyone else.

The previous conversation is interrupted as Five walks into the room, seeing Klaus sprawled on the couch, laughing at thin air. I raise an eyebrow as Five rolls his eyes in annoyance, a feature that he always seems to have.

Klaus shoots up in surprise as he sees his brother. I smile gently as I realize Klaus glances over to me, most likely wanting to share the dreadful news. The lanky, awkward man quickly rushes to stand and nearly stumbles, throwing his hands out to keep balance. "Oh, Five! I have some really important info to share with you!"

"It can wait. I need your help," Five demands, disregarding Klaus's words, as most did. I shake my head sadly as Klaus gets shot down so quickly. He had become the joke that no one would take seriously, even when he needed to be. It was Klaus's fault as much as it was the others.

He had struggled and threw himself headfirst into an abyss, but there was no one there to guide him away from it.

"Well, it's kind of important," Klaus trails after Five who begins to walk. Ben and I glance at each other before following the pair in curiosity. I hear Five release a quick scoff before sharply turning around to glare up at Klaus.

"I am willing to guarantee that whatever minuscule  thing you have to say is not as important as what I need help with. Be in my room wearing something professional in fifteen minutes. Help me and I'll pay you ."

It seems money was all Klaus had to be told for him to perk up and immediately do whatever Five had to say.

Ben sighs in disappointment, shaking his head at his brother and lack of care. As I stand next to him, my hand gently wraps arounds his. In the corner of my eye I see a soft smile bloom upon his face and feel him squeeze my hand in response.

"We'll be okay," I promise, watching as Klaus happily walks away to his room to get dressed. My family did not need to know yet. The past could wait, but the future can't.

"Of course we will," Ben promises from my side. "As long as we're together."

"As long as we're together."

•••

Hello! I am back... See when I said sporadic updates, I meant a two year long hiatus...

Season 3 of Umbrella Academy just dropped and I have been dragged back into the pit that is this show. I have had this little chapter in my drafts for about a year so I decided to post it with my author's note. My sister has also forced my to update this again since she was the one I originally created this fanfiction for.

Also quick note, my writing style has probably changed a bit in two years so I will warn about that, and I am most likely going to be switching this story to 3rd Person rather than 1st Person.

I am glad to be back and I will see you all in the next update!