Chapter XVII: Major Life Changes

"Now, when you walk into a room at the side of the Prince of Wales, your posture needs to be just so," said Ms Kane, one of the palace staff. She had been assigned to give Aisha 'princess lessons'- a loose term that covered everything from learning the exact rank hierarchy of the various peers and their titles, how to curtsy properly and whom to curtsy to, the dressing rules, elaborate table manners, and so on.

Aisha kept a notebook, doing her best to record it all. She felt like she had a very strict governess, who wanted her to memorise everything and write her exams on the same day.

Aisha had resigned from her job at Elise Alva- a step which hadn't surprised any of her coworkers in the least. 

"Well, you are going to be a princess," Rita had said over the phone, "I expect you won't have much time for a regular job."

"I do hope you remember everything you've learnt about high fashion at Elise Alva," said Colette in her exacting accent, "As the Princess of Wales, you'll be one of the most watched women in the world. Try to be one of the most stylish, too." 

Aisha grinned. Colette made it sound like Elise Alva's reputation was at stake. 

"I will, Colette, don't you worry," she said.

John snatched the phone. 

"Now, down to business," he said smartly, "When do we get our invites to the royal wedding? We are invited, right?"

Aisha chuckled. 

"Yes, you are," she assured him, "And you'll get your invitations sometime next week, I expect."

"Goody," said John, sounding satisfied, "I've always pictured myself in the company of royalty. I have some style tips for the King- he rather needs them. His suits are so last year."

Aisha realised that dressing and deportment were a major part of her princess lessons. She could no longer dress exactly as she pleased- there were very specific rules to be followed. She had jotted them down in her notebook, and referred to them everytime she got dressed to meet the royal family at mealtimes, hoping she wouldn't miss something out.

The rules were as follows:

Neck and hemlines must be conservative. 

If wearing a skirt or dress, also wear nude pantyhose.

Do NOT wear wedge heels with formals.

Nail varnish to be subtle, preferably clear or nude. Nails must be short and neatly filed.

No loud hair colours.

Make-up must be subtle and natural.

Do not wear jeans on formal occasions.

And many, many more. 

Looking at the contents of her cupboard, Aisha realised she would have to get herself a whole new wardrobe. And where better to shop than Elise Alva?

It felt weird to return to her former workplace as a customer, and be shown the new women's collection by an extremely enthusiastic John. Nick had insisted on funding Aisha's new wardrobe, and so, there was no budget as such. Nevertheless, Aisha wasn't a big spender, and was determined to be sensible with her spending.

Three hours later, she had a carefully-curated collection of knee-length dresses, gowns, fascinators, sleek trousers, formal tops, and shirts. Stilettos and kitten heels followed, along with several sets of nude pantyhose. 

Aisha blushed furiously as she was led to the lingerie section. John tactfully left her alone to choose the frilly, lacy underwear of her choice, but not without passing a comment that made her blush to the tips of her ears.

"Make sure you focus on the lace and sheers, Aisha. I'd like to know how far out His Royal Highness' eyes can pop."