Chapter 4

Since that beautiful night together, it has been two months. Everything between the two of them has been perfect, they let Bokuto and Akaashi know about their relationship, and even went as far as going on a double date with them! It was chaotic as it always is when they're all together, but it was nice none the less.

Recently, Kenma has been noticing Kuroo being less touchy and bold as his straightforward self usually is. He figured it's probably just schoolwork or stress and didn't really worry about it.

Kuroo is strong, he wouldn't want me to point out any weakness in him, it will make him even more self conscious.

Kenma's train of thought was probably what had Kuroo's best interest at heart, and he really thought nothing of it.

The next day, Kuroo came to the door, but even though he was usually 5 minutes early at least, today was different. He was just a few minutes late. With anyone else, Kenma would see this as perfectly normal, people usually are a bit late to anything, but with Kuroo? He has come early to Kenma's dorm every single day since he promised to show up, something must be wrong.

"Hey Kuroo, are you feeling well? You seem kind of out of it today."

"I'm perfectly fine Kenma, don't worry, see?"

Kuroo showed Kenma his bright smile, the sweet smile that forced Kenma to believe him. There was nothing that smile couldn't fix, at least in Kenma's eyes. Kenma just shrugged it off.

Before they got out of Kenma's room, Kuroo was sitting by Kenma as he did homework, like he does every day. Suddenly, Kuroo started coughing, and not just like he had something in his throat. Kuroo was violently coughing, almost wheezing.

Kenma was immediately worried for him.

"Kuroo??? Oh my god Kuroo are you ok? I'm gonna go get you some water, just stay sitting and try to relax I'll be right back."

Kuroo caught Kenma's right arm with his large hand, his grasp was firm.

"Baby, don't worry I'm ok now, I just breathed kinda weird everything is ok don't worry too much! It's really sweet that you were so caring so quickly though, it was almost like you were my nurse" Kuroo teased, seemingly right back to his normal self.

"Shut up Kuroo, I was really worried it's not the time to be so annoying, are you sure you're ok?"

"100%, I'm absolutely perfect, wouldn't you say Kenma?"

"Jesus Christ Kuroo, you're extra annoying when I'm so worried about you dumbass. Well at least you're ok. I think I'm done with my work for today so do you wanna go grab something to eat real quick?"

"Sounds great, I can drive, maybe just something easy today, I'm feeling kinda tired, my car is parked pretty close to here so let's get moving!"

Kuroo always seemed to have this sort of enthusiasm about him, it's something Kenma adored and longed for every time they were together. His energy was always so high, even after a weird moment like earlier.

~~~

Once they got in the car, everything was so... quiet. Kuroo was usually so talkative and Kenma usually just responded to him, but today Kuroo seemed a little off. Kenma found him very focused on driving, so focused he could even hear his breath a little bit, it was almost raspy, wait, was he crying???

"Kuroo, are you sure you're ok? You have been acting a little bit off today, if something happened you would tell me right?"

No response.

"Kuroo?? Are you even listening to me?"

"Oh- sorry I was- I kinda just spaced out I guess, sorry, can you say that again?"

"Kuroo, something is definitely wrong. Can you please tell me what's up? I feel like I deserve to know, I don't want you to be upset without telling me."

"But... Kenma, something is wrong. Something is very wrong but if I tell you, then you'll have something wrong too. I can't do this to you baby, you don't deserve to deal with my baggage."

Kuroo pulled over into a parking spot and took some deep breaths, almost like he was about to cry or have a mental breakdown.

"Tetsurou, we have known each other for most of our lives, I trust you with my life and I understand you don't want me to hurt, but Kuroo, I love you. I love you so much and whatever you say, I'll still love you. I can deal with any of your baggage if it means I get to know why you're upset, so please, what's wrong?"

Kuroo sighed heavily, like he was struggling to say anything at all.

"Kenma, I'm sick. Like really sick, and I don't know what I'm gonna do about it. I'm sorry, Kenma."

"Kuroo, when you say sick do you mean-"

Kenma starts to get teary eyes, and so does Kuroo. They both know the answer to that question, that question that had be to be asked, just to be sure in the most miserable way possible.

"Yes. When I say sick, I don't mean like the flu, I'm not going to stop being sick. This is just how I am now, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry Kenma."