this is a mystery, even to God Himself

An Unlikely Encounter

You can betcha life that there's somethin' funny about married couples. Sure, they love 'emselves and all, but they're always so damn happy. They smile and laugh and giggle and kiss, even if they're married to pigs an' hideous things like that.

Now, don't get me wrong. I simply adore my husband, Curley. We met in this dance with loads of dolls an' men dancin' and singing and drinkin' a whole lotta booze. He was kinda cute, I guess. He had this goofy smile an' these long, lean arms that could blow a wig anyday, and we hitched before my old lady could say a goddamn word. I mean, sometimes I get so angry at Curley for leavin' me all alone that sometimes I just felt like filling that nutter with daylight, but hey! Ain't that marriage?

It was lonely at first, with me havin' ta sit my darn ass on green hay for hours, with utterly nothin' ta do. Them boys would work all day, and I'd feel terribly empty, because what can a lady do with damn horses, pigs, cows, and sheep? I ain't no farmer, and I surely ain't a dumdum. I mean, there were men. Lousy men and ugly-ass men and men who look like they would be idiots if you knew them. Pot-bellied men and Abercrombies. Men that looked like goons.

Oh, darn! I forgot to tell you about these two fellas called George an' Lennie. Lennie was a real greaseball, now that I think about it. He had these huge paws that were more thumping and manly than anything thumping and manly you could think of. He sorta annoyed me, with his way of talkin' and avoidin' me as if I was some kinda dull tomato. But he was real funny, and I remember when we spent some time together that literally killed me.

So I was wanderin' around, boring the living hell out of me, 'cause I had nuthin' better to do. I was sittin' near this bench watchin' the old boys play some good horseshoes as Lennie was probably off pettin' his mutt somewhere else. And I suddenly heard somethin' like a gunshot. Like...like a pop. It had that crazy sound like what you'd hear in the pictures, with a bang and all. And it was rather weird, 'cause I don't remember Lennie havin' any convincer. It scared the hell outta me, but I gotta say I was damn curious too. That loser-of-a-man George wasn't anywhere and Crooks wasn't lurking around either.

I started running real fast, 'cause I didn't want to miss out on anythin'. I arrived real quick and my beautiful sundress was tousled and my hair was matted, which was a real shame, 'cause I spent so much time brushin' my hair and makin' sure I look perfect. These things are real important to me, if you wanna know. Girls gotta look perfect.

"Hey there, Lennie. Whatcha doin?"

If you know where this came from, I'd be so surprised. Again, 10th grade writing~