Chapter 21 - A Date

This is it. I thought to myself as I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing a brown skirt paired with a long white sleeve top. The outfit was put together with a long-length necklace that fell against my chest. The overall look was simple, yet classy at the same time.

Opening the sliding doors of my dresser I started looking for my knee-high black high heels.

Peter was coming to pick me up at six today. I wasn't sure what to expect since he didn't tell me where we were going, but he did admit part of it would be outdoors.

When the interphone rang loudly in my apartment, I had just finished zipping on my boots. Checking my watch, I read six on the dot. He was right on time. Smiling to myself at his punctuality, I quickly answered, telling him I would be right down. Deep breath.

I could feel my heart thumping in my chest, threatening to come bursting out. I hadn't been on a date in a long time and it was making me nervous. Taking the purse I had prepared on the counter, I quickly checked its content one last time. Mints, lip gloss, keys, money, phone, and my external battery. This was all I would need, I think. I didn't want to carry too much if we were going to be moving around a lot.

"You look nice," I heard him say as I was locking the door to my apartment. Oh no! My movement froze momentarily but I quickly regained my composure. Please tell me he didn't notice!

"Hey," I greeted Kyle awkwardly.

"Are you going out with the girls?" he asked curiously.

"Not exactly," I answer before quickly adding "I'm running late, I'll talk to you later," as I rushed down the stairs. Our eyes had barely met through this encounter. Even now, I didn't dare look back, this unexpected meeting had been awkward enough without seeing his reaction. Kyle wasn't dumb, I'm sure he had put the pieces together before I was even out the door.

"Well have fun," I heard him shout with a somehow tense voice from our floor above. I didn't bother to answer as I swiftly exited the building. Maybe I could pretend I hadn't heard him.

"Hey!" Peter greeted me excitedly.

"Hey!" I answered. Peter had pulled his hair back with gel, making it look sleek. He had paired a simple black long sleeve shirt with brown pants and sneakers. I had to admit he looked good.

"You look ravishing," he complimented similarly to Kyle. While they had both complimented me. I had to admit one had made a larger impact than the other. Enough about Kyle, tonight is about Peter, I chastised myself. I had promised myself to give Peter a fair chance by not thinking about Kyle during this evening.

"Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself," I teased playfully. He chuckled shaking his head. "So where are you taking us tonight?" I questioned, ready to find out what his plans were for us this evening.

"Just a little more patience Kat. You'll see soon enough," he answered with a charming smile. The silence was killing me.

"I'm not that good with patience," I admitted playfully "Consider yourself warned Peter." I continued.

"Understood," he simply answered, still not caving in.

"Fine," I grumbled while following him to what looked to be his car.

He took the time to open the passenger side door for me. I could get used to these kinds of gentleman-like gestures. It made the whole evening more romantic.

We exchanged small talk while he drove us to the surprise destination. He revealed that the rumors about me were mostly positive. Most people couldn't believe how long I had lasted as Sandra's assistant. I guess I had broken all records by surviving more than two months already.