Fire Drill ✧ 𝙳𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚖 & 𝙶𝚎𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚎

𝙳𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚖𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍

George PoV, switches to Clay's later on
𝚃𝚆𝚜: Implied death
(You don't actually see it and I don't describe it in detail, but there's definitely people dying....)

𝙳𝚎𝚜𝚌: Inspired by the song 'fire drill' by Melanie Martinez (which I've linked above), where the end of the world hits while they're at school.
High school au.

Definitely my favourite of all the old works.

𝙾𝚕𝚍 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚔
--------------------------

Smoke erupts from the main building, clouds of death drifting around the destroyed campus. Fires littering the outskirts, slowly creeping their way through the classrooms surrounding the central area. Look like the rumours were true after all.

Doomsday has arrived.

There's been speculation for weeks over a nuclear war. Conflict between countries has been going on for some time, and the opposition have threatened to open fire. Weapons of varying danger, mainly explosives. Bombs with the capability to destroy thousands of miles of land, possibly an entire state.

Except, nobody thought they'd actually use them.

To activate the nuclear bombs we have now could cause the end of the world. At the very least it'd throw entire countries, maybe even continents, into turmoil and panic.

Devastating results on the land around, to recover and rebuilt the area would take decades, possibly even centuries. Not to mention the countless lives that would be lost in the process.

Yet here I am, watching from my dormitory bed as the world decays around me.

From every angle there's screaming, footsteps echoing through the crumbling halls as the ceiling falls inward. As the whole world falls inward, walls collapsing. Cries of pain as rubble hits unsuspecting victims, some crushed on impact.

Nobody seems to have noticed me, sat on my bed watching the chaos unfold through the large windows. A dark night sky, illuminated by more than just stars. Fires swallowing entire buildings, burning the fields around our boarding school.

Couldn't have said goodbye. Signal was the first thing to cut off when the nuke hit, and I'm astonished we didn't all go with it. Dragging out the inevitable is only worse, especially knowing there's nothing you can do. Most people are likely already dead, including my only friend here.

Clay left our dorm barely minutes before the attack. Probably went the bathroom, only to be killed before he got there. Crushed or burnt, maybe from the initial impact or from the chaos that's ensued afterwards.

I should be crying. Crying that my life ends here, at the age of sixteen. That I never got to experience the 'real world' as adults call it, never got to grow up and grow old. That my best friend is dead, my family is dead, everyone is. And if they aren't already, they will be soon, and so will I.

Civilisation as we know it ends here, all because of some corrupt government officials all too keen to pull the trigger. They knew what these weapons were capable of, the damage they could do. But they can't have been prepared for multiple, all at once. Enough damage to end us all.

Should be crying about it, should be angry. Yet I'm not, staring placidly through the window with a sick feeling knotting my stomach. Not fear, but regret. That I never got the chance to do the one thing I so desperately wanted to.

To tell him how I feel. I lived with those feelings everyday, every time I had to look my crush in the face and accept the fact we would only ever be best friends. Every time I saw his cocky smile, that damn pretty smile that brightens any room.