𝐢. THE LETTER

▬ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ▬

SHE WAS HAVING tea with Death when the owl showed up. It was a small thing, barely larger than her fist, and it carried a letter that was much larger than itself.

Death looked amused by its appearance but said nothing.

"Do you know who it's from?" Malefic asked the entity, reaching forward to take the envelope from the owl's beak.

"I do." She gave him a look. "Oh, don't look at me like that, Mistress. Fate has forbidden me from saying anything more."

Malefic said nothing. For all the power she had over Death, there was little she could do if Fate forbade him from doing something. Not yet at least, she still had to grow into her power after all.

As she examined the letter, she reached out to caress the little owl that had been waiting patiently on the table. It preened under her gentle touch for a moment then stiffened.

It started with the feathers that burnt away as if by acid. Ash fell from the bird's body and left behind bare skin. The skin didn't last long however and started to drip from the owl like candle wax. The organs, exposed and unprotected, fell bit by bit onto the table. Each organ made a grotesque 'plop' noise as they fell, not unlike meat being dropped into water. Blood now stained the wooden table and a distinct iron smell had filled the room. Malefic inhaled deeply, enjoying the smell. She grinned sharply at her creation, all that remained of the owl was a skeleton. Its eyeless form stared at her accusingly.

"Oh, don't be like that," she cooed. "You know that you prefer this."

Death watched on in amusement as his mistress mutilated the bird, she was growing into her power rather quickly and he could not be more delighted.

If the owl could blink Malefic was certain it would, the undead creature let out a little hoot instead. Malefic's lips curled up further. "Would I be as daring as to assume that you'll be staying with me, little corpse?" She asked. Another hoot. "Magnificent, do you like the name Goetic?"

The bird flew and rested on her shoulder. "It is a pleasure to meet you then, Goetic," she murmured, caressing the boney face of the bird absentmindedly as she opened the letter. Two thick pieces of parchment were inside. She took out the first, it read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Addams,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

Malefic's eyes narrowed and she looked to Death who had been watching her silently. "You can tell me nothing of this?" She asked, slipping the parchment back into the envelope.

"Unfortunately not, Mistress."

Malefic nodded in understanding, ignoring the stab of irritation that she felt, and looked at Goetic. "We must go and see Mother, do hold on."

She tapped her foot twice and the floor fell away. Goetic managed to let out a single alarmed squawk before they fell into the tunnel that had appeared in the earth. Death's "Goodbye, Mistress" followed them down the tunnel.