Part One

"The beauty of love is that, you can fall into it
with the most unexpected person
at the most unexpected time"
- Ritu Ghatourey

***

"Thanks for helping Carol"

The curly brown haired guy thanked as he finished taking the last suitcase inside the house, all the way from the car.

He looked around, contemplating his neighbours' house, also known as the house he'd be staying in for two whole weeks. Two weeks. Two weeks with people that, despite not being strangers, are nothing to him. Nothing in terms of blood - they're not his family, and nor does he feel as comfortable around them as he would feel around a relative or a close friend.

A close friend like Big Red, for example. Ricky had begged his parents to stay at his, yet they insisted that the best option was for him to stay at Carol and Dana's while they sorted everything out...

Both of Ricky's parents were going through a divorce. Everything at home was chaotic at that point, so chaotic that he had to move out during the whole process. Every fight, every reminder of how his parents didn't love each other anymore left him devastated. So hurt, almost heartbroken even. He was tired of it, and if he was being completely honest, any place is better than home. And that was the main reason why he didn't insist when his parents said no to when he wanted to live with his best friend.

Strangers or not, family or not, he was glad he was at his neighbours'. Their house gave him peaceful vibes, vibes he had never felt at his own house. He felt love, safety and happiness. It was a nice feeling.

"Of course sweetie, both Dana and I are extremely glad to help you... We know it's been a tough time, but everything is going to be alright, hmm?" The woman soothed, her hand placed on his shoulder, and a comforting smile on her face. Her smile almost made him believe everything truly was going to be fine.

Ricky just smiled back. He didn't really have the energies to much more, a smile should be thanking enough.

"Oh Ricky!!" A voice is heard from the kitchen. It was Dana, with an apron wrapped around her body, revealing she had been cooking  "You're here, hello sweetheart" Dana greeted after walking closer to them, followed by two cheek kisses.

"Hey, thanks for having me here, both my parents and I are extremely grateful"

"It's nothing, dear, we're glad we can help. I know everything is going to be solved out, you just need to stay hopeful and strong.."

Hopeful and strong? How can someone stay hopeful and strong when they feel defeated? Exhausted? Devastated? Hurt? You have nothing left than your own disgrace.

"But anyways, let's not talk about that, we're here to have fun and cheer you up! Carol will show you the house, while I finish dinner. Oh and, don't mind our daughter Nini not coming to greet you, she just has gone through a major breakup recently and barely ever comes out of her bedroom... It's nothing personal, she just feels heartbroken.. But let's go it's getting late and you must be both hungry and exhausted"

Well at least she got something right - he indeed was exhausted.. and hungry.

"Yes! Let me show you your bedroom" Carol offered.

The two of them walked towards the stairs, which lead them to a big hall. Carol turned the lights on, and only then Ricky saw how pretty the walls and the whole decoration looked. It screamed comfort to him.