||20||

It was like watching someone else play a video game. My body moved without any input from my brain—a puppet on a string. My wrists jerked to the side, pulling sudden and hard against the ropes. I curled my fingers into fists and slammed them into Jake's hands.

"Shit!" Liz screamed as Jake's grip released and he dropped the knife. I quickly kicked it with the toe of my combat boot, sending it spiraling across the ground until the flickering silver disappeared beneath weeds and pine needles.

Liz pulled back on the rope around my hands, trying to yank me to the ground, but I was ready and held my footing firm. Without thinking, I twisted my ankles, digging my feet into the dirt as I felt my bones cracking and popping.

"She's shifting!" Liz shouted.

Jake dove at me, but I ducked out of his way, spinning on my heels and jerking the rope so hard and suddenly that Liz fell to the ground. She landed hard on forearms. I tugged on the end of my leash, snapping it out of her grip.

"Get her down!" she growled as she scrambled to her feet, clawing at the dirt to try to grab the rope again.

I whipped the line, snapping it away from her. It slithered across the ground like a snake.

From alongside Liz, Jake rushed at me again, but I sprinted toward the far end of the clearing. Pine needles slipped beneath my feet.

My head buzzed and my heart raced. The loss of control of my own body was both exhilarating and terrifying. The power and strength I felt electrified me.

Right before I could dive into the trees, there was a harsh tug on the rope around my wrists. I tripped, landing on my shoulder and hip with a painful crack.

"Fuck," I hissed. I spun my head around and snarled at Jake as he pulled on the rope.

Reggie came up from behind him, running towards me. "Allison, stop!"

"Back the fuck off!" Spit flew from my mouth. My skin crawled with heat like the insects beneath it were boiling. I needed to scratch at my skin. I had to claw them out of me, but I couldn't with my hands bound.

Reggie reached out to grab me, but I spun away from him. The bones in my arms and legs shifted and popped. Fur grew over my body. The binds around my wrists loosened as my arms shrunk into the sleek, thin legs of a wolf. I stepped out of the rope when it fell to the ground in coils.

Foam and drool dripped from my mouth as I panted, licking my sharp teeth. I turned to the others. The light of the moon and stars illuminated them in blues, yellows, and greens. I raised my head to the sky, and I howled.

Let's get out of here! I called to my wolf.  Now's our chance! Run!

I'm not finished yet. Her voice growled back as our eyes focused in on the band.

It's us, not I, remember? I forced the thought to her. We need to get out of here.

No.

I felt my jowls curling back into a snarl as I paced around the campfire. Make Them Scream stood frozen in the middle of the clearing, like they didn't know what to do next.

I licked my teeth, and then I charged at Jake.

"Shit!" he screamed as he dove out of the way. My claws caught the sleeve of his sweatshirt, and with a rip like opening a zipper, fabric tore. My nails grazed across his skin, drawing blood.

"Allison! Stop! Take control back!" Liz shouted. My gaze landed on her. Her blue eyes were wide as she held her hands up, palms extended towards me. "You have to push her down! You're stronger than this!"