The Camp

"Reese, is that really you?" I blurted childishly. I retrasformed back into my human form, feeling my small stomach lying close to the rope turn into a heavy weight I needed to carry on my torso.

Reese helped me up and blurted, "I promise to give you answers later. We need to get out first. The Oracle has been after us for a few months now, and has suspected that our hiding spot is here."

Another man helped me up and firmly grabbed my arm. My body was already aching from pain and exhaustion. I have many questions in mind about who the Oracle really were, what did they want, and what was it that made me able to communicate with the other side? Is death even real or is he just a figure in my head?

"Less talking, more moving!" Reese panted as we ran through the sewers. As we walked past the smelly moat and muddy brick walls coated in moss, we reached a rusty ladder leading us up. It looked fragile and worn away by age, and Reese knew it was the last time we would be using the sewers as an escape route. 

Being the smallest among us all, Reese climbed and reached for the latch. It wasn't long before sunlight poured into the cold drafty sewers and blinded my eyes. I tried to keep my feet steady while my head spun around. Reaching the top of it, I squeezed my body through the rusty opening and into the spine-chilling air outside, laced with the smell of pine trees and fresh  water. 

I looked around, hearing the birds chirping, the leaves rustling and smelled the mud staining my shirt and caking my mouth. I felt sick. We walked in silence as we followed the creek. Ed was giving the silent treatment. Reese was busy talking with the man who pulled me up the rope. 

In the silence I walked through memory lane and it then hit me: this was the same creek that appeared in my dream! No wonder it felt familiar. I took in everything I could observe, feeling a sense of familiarity in every inch of the woods, from the smooth pebbles to the water currents, from the leaves to the trees. Everything was exactly where it was. 

It calmed me down for a second and I came to a realisation that I should say sorry to Ed. I let the ego get the better of me. Letting it loose was a big mistake. I was lost in my thoughts filled with anxiety when I heard rustling in the trees behind. I then looked back, and saw nothing. It felt like someone was watching me. We hurried back to the camp on the other end of the creek, realizing that the sun had set. It only consisted of worn out tents, a shack and a large fireplace. 

Reese then led me to my tent, then I headed towards the toilet through a pathway covered with snow and dead grass. I showered and quickly changed up my clothes, feeling the biting cold creeping across every inch of my body. Behind the cubicle, I heard Ed conversing with someone, a man. 

"Uncle, I need your help. I know I made a mistake with my girlfriend and I really didn't know how to make up to her. We were both angry and I let loose of it. I didn't mean to do that. What should I do?"

"Ed, we all have one of those days, and take a few steps back and reflect first, take a break. Being in a relationship doesn't always mean that you need to be perfect, but you need to work on it too. You and your girlfriend complete each other. If it doesn't work out, it's fine. You'll eventually find someone that matches you eventually."

"I know uncle, I just wished auntie is here with us now as well."

"I know, Ed. I know."

I then slipped quietly, thinking about Ed's conversation with his uncle. When I dried my hair with my towel, head facing towars the ground, I stumbled and crashed into Reese. We nearly fell onto a pile of leaves on the pathway.

"Reese, I am so sorry! I didn't see you there. Haha- I was drying my hair and the next second, Wham. I hit you. I am sooo, sooo sorry!" I hurriedly apologized, realizing my mistake.