missing in action

one shot : walter is declared MIA

a single tear dropped down her cheek. her eyes remained focused on the man in front for her, a heavy blankness in her expression.

"you are lying." she stated simply.

his face, in contrast to hers, was the most pained she had ever seen, his misty eyes furrowed and lips quivering.

"i'm not." the whimper in his voice made her blood run cold.

she watched as a few stray tears left his eyes and blinked at him, feeling completely numb.

"no. you are joking with me gilbert blythe. i know you are."

"anne. i'm not—"

"YES YOU ARE." she raised her voice, interrupting his, "you have to be" her words came out as a small breath, a prayer, a plead.

his arms encircled her body, knowing good and well that when she finally excepted the news, she would most likely collapse.

"i got the letter this morning. the letter carrier was very distraught. i- i don't know" a long sigh came before he finished. "i should've done something. i'm his father for gods sake! it's my job to protect him and what did i do?! encourage him to go out and do the most dangerous thing a man could do?! how could i have been so incredibly—"

"gil, stop." her fingers grazed his jaw, caressing the stubble that had begun to grow there. "you can't blame yourself. i- i know you feel it's your job to protect him, and you have gilbert. his entire life has been spent under your complete protection. but we knew he'd have to go. in the end he decided to leave. you encouraged him to save lives which is very heroic. don't you dare think for a second that you sent him into this."

with his eyes closed and wet he responded, "he's my little boy."

"he's not so little anymore gil, i have faith in him. he will come home."

"but what if he's already—"

"he's not." her voice was firm. "i would know. a mother can feel it, he is alive."

"god i hope you're right."

a/n this is SO weird and short and idk how i feel abt it but i really wanted to post so here😃👊🏼