C H A P T E R 4

Practice has been going great so far. My thumb only hurts a little bit. It's like the pain of when you stub your toe or drop something heavy on your toe. Yea. It's like the level of pain you feel 5 minutes later. So nothing too bad. I can just ice it later.

We were on a water break right now, about halfway through practice so far. I felt something tap my foot so I looked down to see a ball sitting at my feet. I looked up to see where it came from to see Tobin standing about 20 feet away from me with a big smile spread across her face. 

Almost immediately a huge smile spread across my face. My dimples were probably on display for everyone else to see right now.

I jogged over towards the forward with the ball before kicking it up and juggling it. After a few tricks, I passed it back to Tobin. This continued back and forth and more and more people started joining in. We all tried to show off our best tricks, a few of us majorly failed at some—me included. But it was so fun! It helped me relax so much. It made me feel like I was a kid back at the park. That was the best day of my life.

Eventually, it turned into a game of monkey in the middle with a few people in the middle and a couple more balls. Everyone was playing now. It was so fun.

"Alright everyone," Jill announced making everyone groan. I just shook my head as I still had a huge smile on my face. Nothing could make me upset right now. Jill started talking about the next drill. It was the the beep test. Yay. My favorite test in the whole wide world. Please, note the sarcasm.

We were split up into three groups. Keeper and defenders, midfielders, and then forwards. I thought I'd be in the defender group, since you know, I'm a defender. But for some odd reason, Jill decided to put me in the midfielder group. Strange. Very very strange.

Keepers and defenders went first. Kelley won that group with a high score of 67. Tough score to beat. Next up was midfielders. I could hear whispers of what my score was gonna be and who was gonna win. I think some were even betting on whether or not I would win and what score I was gonna get.

At stage 55, it was down to Julie, Rose, Lindsey and I now. I was feeling pretty good still. I took my team sweatshirt thing off cause I was getting pretty sweaty and who likes running in layers when they're basically dripping in sweat? In hind sight, I kind of forgot that I was wearing it to hide the giant wad of tape wrapped around my thumb.

At stage 63, Julie and and Rose had dropped out so now it was down to Lindsey and I. I couldn't even hear that the all of the other players were cheering us on. I continued to push myself. Just one more stage. Just one more. Next thing I know, Lindsey dropped out and I'm running alone at Stage 66. I was just about start running at when I heard the beep but my legs buckled underneath me and next thing I know I was on the turf. I rolled over onto my back and just stared up at the sky. Almost immediately, trainers and teammates were surrounding me and hovering over me. 

I just started laughing, well, kind of laughing. Kinda difficult when you're out of breath. I couldn't stop laughing though! I mean, I was at stage 68, a personal best for me. And then I fell. I frickin' fell flat on my face in front of over 20 other people I met only a few days ago! How can I not laugh at that?!

I could feel a small amount of turf burn above my left eyebrow and below my eye. But I didn't care at all. I just couldn't find this situation anything but hilarious! 

"C'mon ya clumsy little bird. Let's get ya up," Kelley said as she helped me slowly sit up. Slowly, very slowly, I get helped to my feet. A trainer helps me walk off the field, making sure I don't fall.

"So who won the bet?" I joked with a goofy lopsided smile. The trainers sat me down on the side of the field, a few yards away from everyone else while the forwards did the test.

They did a quick concussion test and then cleaned the small scratches on my face. I couldn't wipe the stupid grin off my face though. Today has been a great day. The trainer questioned how my thumb was and she even taped it again. 

Tobin won her group with a 64.  Jill decided to end practice. I mean, everyone was pretty worn out right now. So we all got packed up and got on the bus to head back to the hotel. I sat down in one of the seats towards the front of the bus. I sighed and leaned my head back against the seat as my adrenaline of the day started to wear off. I closed my eyes as I just sat there and took a deep breath. Today has been a god day. Sure, I dislocated my thumb falling down the stairs and I got turf burns by falling flat on my face at my first USWNT practice. But even through all that, today was a damn good day.

"So, I'm guessing there's a story behind that taped up thumb? Wanna spill all the juicy details or nah?" Sonnett smirked as she elbowed my side and wiggled her eyebrows. I chuckled as shook my head at her. I think the only words to accurately describe Emily Sonnett is Emily Sonnett.

Everyone joked about practice today on the bus ride back to the hotel. About halfway, I got a concerned text from, what I'm guessing, a very angry English right-back.

From Lucy Goosey:

Why did I just see a picture of you with your faced all scuffed up along with your thumb taped up?

From Me:

I dislocated my thumb when I slipped on the stairs this morning and I fell on my face at practice.

From Lucy Goosey:

What am I ever gonna do with you. Are you alright?

From Me:

Yea I'll be alright. I gotta go. I'll call you later. Love ya Luce.

From Lucy Goosey:

Alright. Be safe. Love you too you little knucklehead.

I still had a smile on my face and it wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Today has been a great day.

---

Author's Note:

Well Happy Thanksgiving everyone! And if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving, well then I guess I hope you have a great day! Again thank you so much for reading this book! Hopefully you enjoyed it! If not, well then I guess oh well? Again, have a great holiday of just a great day!

See ya later alligators!