Part 1: Introduction

The street was lit by the dim orange glow of street lights, as the sun didn't reach this deep in the city. At least the street lights were maintained. That was a luxury here in the Under City. Where the light touched, there was relative safety. At least you could see who or what was trying to kill you. In the Under City, that was more than enough. If you can't take care of yourself, you don't last long down here. I'm leaning against the wall, partially hidden by shadow, puffing lazily on a thick cigar. The last of their kind. Then I would quit smoking. Not out of desire to, mind you, but out of necessity. Luxuries were hard to come by, especially a quiality cigar like this . The last since I'd been discharged from the marines. I'd never known how easy I'd had it back then.

Yeah, I'd been dodging bullets and lasers, but I'd been doing it for the cause of freedom. I was well fed, and treated like a hero.I'd even had time for simple pleasures, such as the last of my favorite cigars. Yeah, I'd killed but I'd done it for good reason. Now, I just did it to survive. Even as I enjoyed my last taste of the upper levels, I waited for the one man who could set me up down here. He hasn't left the darkness for many years, but it was clear he was going to have to. Known for his death grip on the Under City, he went only by The Undertaker. And yesterday, I'd challenged him. The first time in 30 years.

I exhale, sending out a cloud of noxious, but highly enjoyable smog. I appear relaxed, but if it weren't for the thick black cigar steeling my nerves, I would not have the guts to follow through with this meeting. I had just antagonized one of the most powerful men in the city. Who was to say he would even show up? The threat to his authority had been public, and he wouldn't want to lose face.......would he? But what real threat do I pose? And what was keeping him from just offing me? Problem solved. My resolve was wavering...had I just added myself to the Undertaker's body count?

I nearly lost my composure as the retort of a silenced pistol punctured the silence and the bulb of street lamp closest to me shattered into a million pieces. At the last moment, I kept myself from flinching, and brought the trembling fingers of my right hand to my face and took one last euphoric drag. There was no going back now.