Remembrance

A few months had pass since Link and Zelda returned from their honeymoon. They had enjoyed a few more days of their married life before being thrown back into their normal routine, though now their love was even stronger. Sometimes, Link would sneak away from overseeing the training of the soldiers just to pay his wife a much needed visit in her study; other times Zelda would gaze adoringly out of her window at her husband, watching him shout commands at his obedient troops.

They were happy. Finally happy, even if they had to wait over one hundred years for this bliss. Everything they had gone through was all worth it, not just for Hyrule but for themselves, too. 

It was now night, and Link and Zelda were walking hand in hand through Hyrule field, making their way up of a small hill which had a magnificent view of the castle. Atop the bill was a single tree which cradled the hill.

"Do you remember this place?" Link whispered softly into Zelda's ear, gripping her hand.

"How could I not?" She giggled.

Link smiled to himself as he took a few strides towards the tree, before slumping against it, sighing as he gazed out at the view in front of him.

"It does feel like a lifetime ago." He muttered as Zelda sat next to him.

"What?"

"Everything..." He cast his gaze down, "I woke up not even knowing who I was, let alone remembering anyone. It was frightening, not knowing who you are, or why you were there... I had no memory, at all... And I must admit, there are still things that I don't remember."

"I'm sorry..." Zelda sighed.

Link wrapped his arms around her and pressed his lips on her forehead.

"It doesn't matter." He said, "Day by day I've been remembering a little. Mostly about you and our time together. Small moments really, but every single moment meant a lot to me if I try hard to remember..."

A smile crept up on his face.

"It seems... I did love you back then, too." He chuckled, "Admittedly not as much as I did afterwards but..."

"You fool." His wife laughed, "Oh, why does it matter know. You love me now, and that's what's most important."

"Go on, tell me you loved me back then as well." Link urged cheekily.

"What if I didn't?"

"That's hurtful..."

"Ok fine, fine. I thought that you were very special-"

"Is that it?!" Her husband protested, "Here I am saying I was a knight in love with his princess and you're just saying I was special?!"

"Stop jumping to conclusions." Zelda snapped, "I guess I liked you, though I never really had the time to contemplate that feeling back then, though looking back at it know... I suppose I did."

"What if you weren't a princess, and I wasn't a knight?"

Zelda kissed him on the cheek and ran her fingers through his hair.

"Our lives would have been very different." She thought, "Perhaps we would never have met each other, or maybe we would... Who knows what the Goddess had in store for our fate:"

They gazed up at the sky above them, watching in awe as the stars glistened, and the shooting stars darted through the sky.

"I don't need to make any more wishes." Link smiled, "My only wish came true."

"Me too."

"Oh, well I suppose that I could wish for... Foo-"

"Don't even say it!" Zelda spat, "I don't want to hear that word again!"

"Ok, how about tasty things that I put in my mouth, chew, then swallow." Link stated, "And then a bunch of stuff happens in my body and then it comes out when I need the loo."

"Honestly, you have the mind of a child."

"Hey, children are alright, the adorable little urchins."

"Yes, but when you're a grown man with the mentality of a child, that's different."

"Yeah I'm sure someone with the mentality of a child can command an entire army." Link challenged.

"You are proof that it's possible." Zelda scoffed.

"Yeah shut up, you read books."

"Speaking of books, I found a particular novel about a princess who's job was to awaken her powers, and of a knight who wielded a legendary blade. Together they would work with four champions who would pilot four divine beasts, and battle Calamity Ganon... But all was lost as the princess's power awakened slightly too late and the knight..."

"Here we go..." Link muttered.

"Didn't want to fight and he realised his dream of moving away to live a life of love with the the narrator of the story, who I'm guessing is also the author."

"W-What?!" Link exclaimed whilst trying to contain a laugh.

"The exact quote was 'He came to my house, sword in hand, saying he no longer wished to fight, but realised that he loved me dearly, and wanted to start a new life, with just me and him'."

"I can't!" Link gasped before his laugh got the better of him.

"I really don't know how historically accurate this novel is." Zelda pondered before finally joining in with Link's laughter. 

"Oh dear!" The Prince consort giggled, wiping a tear from his eye, "I'm hungry now."

"Link! I asked if you needed to eat anything before we left."

"I wasn't hungry then."

"As I said early, you're like a child, Link." Zelda smirked, "I do wonder how I'll cope if I can barely keep you in check..."

"Huh!?"

—————

The end