29 | Take A Break

We were all so happy Alex would become an official member of the household. He would be my brother by blood and by name. Ok, technically not by blood because gods don't have blood. And he'd probably be Alex Blofis if he decided to change his last name, but still. Nothing could separate us now. Alex would have a home again. We would be his family forever.

1st Person | Percy's POV
825 words

It's been a few months since our first family dinner. Alex was now my adoptive brother. He took Blofis as his last name and made Fischer his middle name. After that joyful dinner, I had returned to see camp running smoothly. The Chaos warriors were great instructors and helped the demigods improve immensely. I updated Camp Jupiter and Camp Half-Blood on what had happened. I didn't go into detail, but they knew enough. Hazel told me she'd inform the Hunters and the Amazons as well as Reyna. Last I heard, the 13th legion was well on its way. Give it a few years and it might even be up to Camp Half-Blood's numbers. I also remembered I never finished telling my story to Luke and his lieutenants. When I offered to tell them more, they said they figured it all out and complained that I was holding out on them. I had no idea what that meant and was even more confused when they walked off talking about some book series.

I helped Alex with his powers when I could, but I was still very busy. Tending to one's domains and preparing for war takes a lot out of a god. I had war councils with various pantheons just to check how they were fairing. I even pretended to be a general sent by Greece to find out how the mortals in America and Canada were doing since they had been informed by the Norse pantheon of the upcoming invasion. They said they had this team of people who liked to wear spandex leading the front lines.

Apparently, they've had experience with aliens. I missed a lot when Hera kidnapped me. I later figured out these spandex people were the Avengers that worked with Thor. After several talks (and parties) with Thor and Loki, we agreed it best for the Greeks and Romans to stay out of their way. Too many conflicts could arise if the mortals were made aware of yet another pantheon. Thankfully, the Avengers were going to protect Washington D.C. because they thought it was the most susceptible to attacks, not knowing that Olympus sat above New York. We would be able to easily stay out of each other's way.

It was nearing a year (the first of many) since I became a god. Because I was too frequently absent from camp, the Olympians and I agreed to promote Chiron to camp director. He would still run the activities, but he would also have complete say over how the camp was run. Essentially, nothing changed, but he was happy to be promoted regardless. I was grateful he took the job. It was one less responsibility I had to handle at the moment.

On another note, we found a perfect place for my palace. It was a compromise between the ocean and land. I didn't care that it wasn't in the sky. I think Zeus was happy it wasn't too. The entrance was a hidden littoral cave, or sea cave, in Acadia National Park, Maine. It used to be an official cave of theirs, but after tides trapped a few people and it became known as The Devil's Oven, it was abandoned. Many still visit, but few go all the way back. If you do, you might see a carving of Anaklusmos and a Pegasus. And if you touch the petal of a poisonous flower, like foxglove, to the carvings, a sea-green doorway might just appear. Then if you enter, you might just be welcomed by an impressive palace within the rocks and partly below the sea. There may even be openings to the sky above making it feel as though you're outside in some parts of the palace.

Because of the location of my palace, any naiads or creatures that live in sea caves were now my subjects. Likewise, the merpeople that made extensive use of sea caverns were also my subjects. I was surprised to be told that a human-like species inhabited many sea caves too. They were known as the Maris Astéria people. The only difference between them and humans was their skin and their ability to breathe underwater. Their skin came in different shades of cool colors and had specks of silver on the surface that made them look like they sparkled. My father said he once employed them, but they preferred to stay above water, so he released them from his service. I wasn't sure what type of contract was made, but Zeus informed me a good number of them would attend to the above-water section of my palace and reside there too.

I hadn't visited my palace with anyone there yet. I only had time to see the finished construction. It wasn't even furnished when I went. But my palace would have to wait longer for my return because our scouts reported large masses hovering over Earth. The invasion fleet had arrived.