Chapter 16: The Tour, Part 2

Derek was beginning to suspect Dr. Noh was a bit on the crazy side. The way she had just sort of spoken to that boy as if she were threatening him with a good time was disconnected enough to make him specifically feel awkward. He wasn't sure about the others, but that didn't seem to matter at this point in time.

The other thing was Charles. The boy driving the bus. The smile on his face was so plastered it seemed forced but he legitimately seemed that happy to be driving a bus and listening to what he was told. He was a little weirded out.

Also why was a 14 year old driving a bus?

He wasn't about to ask that question, he frankly had a lot more on his mind at the moment. The bus zoomed along the path until it made it to a large, particularly impressive paddock. A large concrete wall with bolted metal sheets covering openings in it. Orenda lifted her walkie talkie, and spoke into it.

"Jack, open the viewing ports on Paddock 27."

A buzz came from the walkie talkie, presumably acknowledging her command, as a low rumble came from the metal plates.

Slowly, and with the occasional horrible scratching of metal on metal, the panels slid out of the way, revealing what was presumably bullet proof glass on the other side. And on the other side of that glass, tearing its way through some sort of large and horrible amalgam of meat, was what could only be one thing.

Tall as two and a half people, and as long as eight of them lying down, the huge beast's powerful and massive legs supported its large and muscular form. It had only a crest of green and blue feathers upon its head, its triangular scaly skin being green on the top while being yellow and square at the bottom. It's massive head reached down to the meat structure and tore it open with teeth, blood dripping from its mouth as it tossed the torn chunk up and chewed on it. It's massive eyes were already fixed directly on the now parked tour vehicle. Its long tail waved in conjunction with its neck, helping it keep its balance as it moved position so that it was now facing the party.

This had to be, this could be nothing else, this was a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

A low rumble filled the air. It reminded Derek of the sound that crocodiles made at first, except unlike crocodiles it had enough force and was low enough that Derek could feel it vibrating his very bones.

"Holy shit! That is so cool!" Steven said.

"Steven! Watch your language!" Alexandra scolded.

The T. Rex then opened their mouth and the low rumble turning into what could only be called a roar, though it sounded nothing like one and more like the starting of some sort of motor.

"This is Kreig. Our Bull Tyrannosaurus Rex." Orenda introduced. "I wasn't expecting him to be eating now - we usually don't feed them until a bit later in the day. But here he is."

"How's that for 'exciting', boy?" Noh chuckled

"Th-hem!?" Anise asked. "There's...there's another in there?"

The creature stepped on the meat chunk and peeled off another piece, letting out another growl.

"Yep. Krieg and Frieden. Frieden is a female. She's actually a bit bigger than Krieg."

"Oh cool! Cool! Where is she, where is she?" Steven asked excitedly.

Orenda shrugged. "Probably on her way. If it's feeding time she'll get some."

"They don't mind being around each other?" Anise asked.

"Surprisingly, no. They're no more aggressive with each other than crocodiles are. They occasionally yell at each other over who gets food in what order, but they actually seem not to mind the others presence, for the most part."