Chapter 20: Betrayal from a Princess

Ever since the black rocks first sprouted up they have only gotten worse. Now houses are being destroyed in Old Corona and families have been forced to move out of their homes. Varian's dad was telling everyone not to worry about the situation until you and Varian started talking about the test you have been running.

"We've been studying these rocks and I think we discovered a vulnerability in their alchemical makeup," He said. "Son, Y/N, I told you, leave those rocks alone." "Yeah, we know, we know, we know, but something has to be done," Varian said. "And I think we may be onto a solution." You continued. "Something is being done. In fact, I plan to travel to see the king this afternoon about this very matter." Quirin said. "Oh. Well, um, then can- can we come with you?" Varian asked hoping he would say yes. Quirin sighed, "Very well, you can travel with me."

"Really? Yes! YES! ROADTRIP! Varian, Y/N, and dad going to see the king!" Varian said while you both did a victory dance. "I will pack ham sandwiches." You both started to go pack for the trip. Quirin chuckled, "Yes. In the meantime, stay away from those rocks," he said in a demanding tone. Both of you looked at the path full of rocks. "Uh, okay, but um...that's getting harder to do by the minute," You said. A new rock was about sprout up and hit your arm, but Varian grabbed you by the shoulders and moved you away.

________

You, Varian, and Quirin were in the hallway in the castle to see the king. "Okay, Dad. What's our strategy? I mean, we tried to get a sample of the rocks to show the King, but they just won't cut-" He started to say until his dad cut him off. "Son, Y/N. Wait here while I speak to the king." "Dad, I think I should go in there to help explain the scientific-" He started to explain until Quirin interrupted him again. "Children have no place in court." He started to walk away. "But w-we're not children," You said, but Quirin was too far to hear you.

You and Varian went around the room, to a side door, and watched the conversation. "Quirin, my old friend. What brings you from Old Corona village?" The king said. "Your Majesty, Old Corona is facing quite the dilemma," Quirin replied. "Oh?" He asked concerned. "Uh, yes, it would appear this year's harvest has proven quite bountiful. So much so, that I humbly request more land to accommodate such bounty."He said. "What?!" You and Varian asked shocked. He didn't even address the problem about the black rocks. 

You noticed Nigel, the royal advisor, whisper something to the king. "Quirin. I am pleased to hear how well Old Corona is faring, and even more pleased to grant your request." He said, "Thank you, Your Majesty." He bowed and walked away to where you and Varian were. "Dad! None of that was true. Old Corona's being destroyed!" Varian whispered yelled. "Old Corona will endure, you'll both have to trust that I can handle this," he said. "How? How can we trust anything when my own father just lied to the king's face?" 

"That is enough, Varian," Quirin said in a demanding tone. "Yes, sir." He said. Quirin started to walk away. Varian looked at the floor with a sad expression on his face. You put a hand on his shoulder which made him look up at you with a smile.

You heard a door open behind you. You both turned around and saw Rapunzel coming into the hallway. "Varian, Y/N? Is everything okay?" "No! No, it's not. Rapunzel, we came to see your dad about the rocks in Old Corona." Varian said. "Yeah, but your dad just said-" She said but you interrupted her. "He lied. Things have gotten worse." "How much worse?" She asked in a worried tone. You both thought about all the houses that got destroyed. You both looked down and sighed. "A lot worse," you both said in unison.

"Don't worry. I haven't forgotten our agreement. We're going to figure out the mystery behind these rocks. Together. Just give me until my father returns. Everything is gonna be okay. I promise." She bent down to your height. You both looked up and smiled.