orchids

"flowers... are a proud assertion that a ray of beauty out values all the utilities in the world."
–Ralph Waldo Emerson

When Elizabeth ran through the gateway to Platform 9 and 3/4, she immediately started scanning the platform for her best friends, just like she did every year.

"Lizzie!" shrieked a voice that she would recognise anywhere. She turned around to see Lavender Brown, her fellow Gryffindor, barrelling into her arms for a rib-crushing hug — her speciality. Not that Elizabeth was complaining. She just laughed and hugged Lavender back.

"Darling, you're choking her." A woman approached the duo. She was the type of woman who could somehow wear a garbage bag and make it look classy - an impressive feat indeed. Not that she would ever be caught dead in a garbage bag of all things.

"Lady Brown." Elizabeth smiled in greeting. "How are you?"

"Splendid, my dear. Now, where is your mother? Don't tell me she sent you here alone."

"They had prior engagements."

In response to Lady Brown's accusing stare showing what she thought of that excuse, Elizabeth shrugged bashfully. It wasn't a secret that she was muggle-born, she was very proud of who she was and bigots like Malfoy wouldn't change that. If only her parents had the same attitude about her being a witch.

They've had "prior engagements" for the last six years.

Seeing the train of thought her friend was exploring, Lavender quickly linked arms with Elizabeth and spoke, "C'mon, let's go find Parvati. She and Padma always get here early so this year she promised to get us seats by the driver."

So, without a backwards glance to her mum, Lavender dragged Elizabeth onto the train in search of the last girl to complete their trio.

— orchids —

Walking into Parvati's compartment was followed by hugs and cheek kisses, so much so that an outsider might think it had been years since they had last met, not just a few months.

Elizabeth chose her usual seat next to the window and Lavender pulled out the latest Witch Weekly magazine to pour-over. Glancing out the window, she saw a group of redheads followed by a black-haired teen she recognised instantly. As did everyone else, judging on the way they were shamelessly gawking at him.

"I kinda feel bad for him," she admitted, gesturing for the other two girls to join her at the window.

"Who?"

"Harry. I don't think I'd be able to live in the spotlight like that."

"Yeah, and with everything that happened at the end of last year." Parvati sat back down, reopening her book. Lavender, on the other hand, appeared visibly distracted and was fixing her hair (not that it needed any fixing).

"Is everything ok, Lav?" Elizabeth asked.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah. Just, uh, did Weasley get even taller over summer?" answered Lavender, following Ron with her eyes as he got on the train.

"I think so, why?"

"No reason."

Sensing the tension in the air, Parvati changed the topic, "So. OWL results. How did you guys do?"

Lavender finally sat down. "I did ok. Defence was my best, thanks to Harry and the DA."

Elizabeth nodded in agreement. "Same. It would be helpful for NEWTS as well. Do you think it will continue this year?"