☞ PROLOGUE ☜

☞ • • • ♔ • • • ☜

☞ • • • ♔ • • • ☜

      The loud wails of police sirens and ambulance cars echoed down the streets of Morioh, and crowds of people gathered at the scene. It was dark out, so the scene laid out before the people was a bit harder to decipher, but they could easily recognize that a murder had taken place, what with all the bodies being removed from the place. That rickety old home housed several cadavers, at least six being dragged out to be exposed. Only one of the tortured souls being held captive there came out alive, by a matter of sheer will, but that broken individual themself couldn't seem to understand that. Before the police arrived, that person found themself outside of the home, running around, and banging on the door of the nearest home crying out for help. Now they sat in the back of an ambulance trying to explain what happened to the officers surrounding them.

"I...I don't know how, I-I just... all I know is I was leaning against a wall, trying to see if it was weak enough for me to break it open and then I was outside," they explained, snuggling deeper into a thin blanket rested over their shoulders.

"So you fell out of the wall outside? Makes sense. This house is ancient–"

"N-no! That's the thing. I-I ended up way farther from the wall than I should have if I fell! There's not even a hole there. I-It felt like something picked me up and moved me outside. I-I don't know what it was!"

The officers glanced at each other knowingly, before looking back at the shivering individual before them.

"Look, you probably did just fall out of a wall or window or something, but can't make sense of it. It's only natural for your head to be a mess after going through what you've been through."

"B-But–I'm not lying! I know what I felt! I know something put me outside!"

"It doesn't matter, what's important is that you managed to escape and get help. Now could you please give us some insight into what happened inside the house?"

The victim frowned, looking down into their lap.

"H-He... he tortured us daily. He made us torture each other. The others... they all succumbed to their wounds... and the lies he fed them."

An officer taking notes nodded for the victim to continue.

"H-He..." they stuttered, ears ringing as they tried to recall the memories of being in the home, "... he made us... he made us do t-things... to e... each other..."

"What did he make you do?"

"He..."

"I think that's enough. We need to get them to a hospital before we ask any further questions."

"Right. Alright, everyone move out."

When the policemen turned to leave, the paramedics ushered the victim into the back of the car, setting them on a stretcher. The victim felt their head spin as they lay down. The doors of the vehicle closed and the car was off.

"Don't worry, you'll be just fine," one of the paramedics cooed, attempting to soothe the victim. They shook their head.

"No... this... I... I don't think–"

"Shhhhh, save it for when we get to the hospital. You need to conserve your strength."

The victim falls silent, the roar of the sirens becoming more muted, and their vision fading to black in the back of the ambulance.

☞ • • • ♔ • • • ☜