Chapter 7

The next few weeks passed quickly and it was now Halloween. I had written to Father some new findings but still didn't say anything important.  I think he was starting to get frustrated with my stupid answers, but i'll worry about that when he reaches his limit.  This is probably not a very good idea but hopefully by the time he blows his top and performs legilimency i will have mastered occlumency to stop him.

Draco has yet to mention anything to Father about me actually being friends with Harry, so i think that bit of blackmailing i did actually worked.  Hermione got me the books and i had read them all very quickly.  My favorite one was Prince Caspian though it was closely followed by The Horse And His Boy and The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe.  I have got to admit muggles have some pretty good books, i couldn't stop reading this series!

Snape had told me to meet him for my first occlumency lesson right after last class today, so as soon as the bell that signalled the end of Transfiguration rang i ran to the Gryffindor tower to put my stuff away and then went down to the dungeons to meet Sevy.

"Okay you are here, let's get started" Snape says when i arrived.  "How about we begin with something simple, what is legilimency?"

" Legilimency is the ability to extract emotions and memories from another person's mind.  Kinda like mind reading” i respond.

“That is partially correct.  What you said is true, except it’s not like mind reading.  The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing, so it cannot be ‘read’ as muggles call it.”

“Okay, can we just begin already? i don’t want to miss tonight's feast”.

“Okay then, let us begin.  Occlumency is the art of magically defending the mind against external penetration, sealing it against magical intrusion and influence - the defensive counter

to Legilimency.”

“How do we do it?”

“All you have to do is clear your mind of all thought and emotion.  Let’s try it.  Are you ready?”

“Yeah” i respond trying to clear my mind.  It was hard because random thoughts just kept getting in.  

Then as i am still trying to clear my head i hear Snape yell “LEGILIMENS”.  Then suddenly...

I am 4 and i am running as fast as my small legs can carry me trying to catch up to Draco who has stolen my favorite doll.

Now i am 8 and i am hiding behind a bush as Father teaches Draco how to fly.  I wanted to learn how to fly but Mother and Father told me i was still too young.  So here i was hiding behind a bush trying to listen in as Father teaches Draco how to fly.  “... Now grip the handle tightly and push off with your feet.  Good.  Now lean forward to come back down.” i hear Father say and then they go back inside the house.  That night when they are all asleep i sneak out of my room get Fathers Nimbus 1008.  I practice my flying for a few hours until i see dawn approaching so i head back to bed.

I feel Snape taking the spell off and i just lay on the floor trying to regain some strength.

“Are you ready to try again?” Snape asks.

I nod getting up from the floor.  This time i try imagining like if there is a huge brick wall in my mind that doesn’t let anyone see my thoughts and memories.  I hear Snape yell “Legilimens” again and...

It was only last year.  I was Father and Mother saying goodbye to Draco who was going away to Hogwarts for the first time.  I wanted to go but i knew i was still too young, so i just stood there silently holding on to my mother’s hand as Draco boards the train.