Prologue

Screams emerge from the living area. I cover my ears, attempting to block out the ruckus. 
"YOU ARE SCARING OUR CHILDREN, MALIA!"

"I DON'T CARE. SHE RUINED MY LIFE, ELIJAH!"

"SHE IS YOUR DAUGHTER! YOU NEED TO LOVE HER! SHE NEEDS HER MOTHER!" 

"When she grows up, she will become a danger to our society. You, YOU WANTED HER TO STAY ALIVE! You risked my life to have that horrible little girl." 

"You make us unhappy, Malia. The kids are terrified of you."

"If you want that little girl, fine! Take her. I won't have our son near her."

"You are taking her brother away from her!? Are you insane?" 

"I want you out of the house by 2:32 PM tomorrow!"

"I want a divorce. Send the papers to my mother's house!" 

Let me fill you in. My parents were happy for 23 years. I am currently 7 years old and my brother is 5. All of a sudden, my mom went crazy. She began screaming at everyone. She blames me for her problems. I really don't know why. My dad is a good man, strange... but a good man. He never let our mother near us. He always sheltered us from her shouts. My baby brother was at the preschool right now. I had to get out of the house. I opened the closet door slowly, reaching for my trench coat. I wrap it around me and dash out of the house.
"DARLING! COME BACK!" My father shouts. I keep running until I reach the woods. It was becoming dark at 4:32 pm. It was the winter solstice. 
I sat down on the floor of the woods, crying. My head was throbbing with all of the screams from my parents. An animal appears from the bush. It limps towards me.
The whimpers begin shattering my heart.
"Are you okay?" I ask.
It whimpers and places its head on my leg. The blood oozes out of the cut on its front leg. 
I rip my trench coat and apply pressure to the cut. It howls from the rough coat. 
"It's okay..." I tie my coat around its leg. 
"I'm Phoebe..." I smile. It licks my finger slightly. 
"You better head on home. It's getting dark out." It whimpers at me and begins walking away. It turns it's head once more and the orbs meet my eyes.
"I'll see you again." It lowers its head and walks away. 
I end up falling asleep on the cold, moist floor.