Chapter 1 - Mika

It was one afternoon on a busy group chat when my friends cornered me and tried to convince me to come along with them to a theme park this weekend. I originally wasn't so keen on coming but the promise of free food and a good time with my friends finally convinced me. Somehow I survived my holiday work shifts as a cashier and the weekend came round. On the day of the outing I decided to wear my all time favourite band t-shirt and a nice pair of skinny jeans. I applied some smokey eyeliner and I was finally happy with my appearance. As I neared the theme park I became giddy with excitement. Speed walking to the predesignated meet up spot I noticed that we were down a few members of our little party.

"Hey where is everybody?" I asked once I was close enough

"Kristian was sick and the others have gone rogue" Neil said, not tearing his eyes away from his phone.

"What's so interesting about ye phone eh Neil?" Dominic said, nudging Neil's shoulder "is it that mysterious girl we keep hearing about eh eh?"

"No sorry um its my mum and um family issues have come up so I gotta go" Neil mumbled with a frown

"ah well I hope everything is ok" Angel says as Neil walks off

"So am I stuck third wheeling today?" I asked

"Oh shush Mika, it's not that bad" Angel rolled her eyes.

With that, we started walking towards the theme park. The couple shyly holding hands while I grumbled jealously.

After a few roller coaster rides we were going to go get that scrumptious free food I was promised. Just thinking about all the cinnamon croissant and apple pie waiting to be devoured was making my mouth water. I was snapped out of my dreamy daze when Dominic pointed out the haunted house. Everybody agreed to go but I only had a few minutes to mourn the loss of freshly baked sweet pastry until we were entering the dark spooky house.

....

I knew it was a bad idea. I shouldn't have listened to my friends. Now I was stuck in a dark creepy house, with monsters waiting around every corner just to scare me. Worst part is, my friends all ditched me to fend for myself!! Well actually its more like I ran away from them to avoid the huge spider in the dead end. Now I am all alone wandering the eerily lit corridors with menacing red carpet squeaking underneath the souls of my shoes. I find another doorway and dare to venture in only to be confronted by an ugly zombie. I scream and flail my arms around, managing to get a hit on the zombie's cheek. "HEY HEY calm down!" the zombie shouted at me, grasping my shoulders and shaking me senseless. Once the rattling in my brain died down, I finally realised the girl shaking me was another victim of the haunted house. The dim lighting made it hard for me to pinpoint any subtle features, although she seemed slightly familiar.

"I know we are strangers but we are both trapped in here so why don't we work together to get out?" the girl said to me

"O-okay sure" I squeaked back

And with that, we set off back down the corridor into the dark abyss of monsters and nightmares waiting to swallow us whole.

Now that we were outside the haunted house and coming down from the crazy adrenaline rush, I could feel a strange warm sensation where my soulmate mark was on my shoulders. I chose to ignore it in favour of looking at the girl. With the full daylight shining upon us I finally realised why she was so familiar. It was the girl I was forced to go skiing with every winter by my family. Her family and my family were great friends but we didn't really like each other. Looking her over I noticed the handprint on her face just where I slapped her.

"Oh no sorry I didn't realise I hit you that hard!" just because I hate her doesn't mean I want to harm her.

"Huh?" she gave me a dumbfounded look

"Where I slapped you left a mark I'm so sorry!" I fretted

"Oh no don't worry that's my soulmate mark"

We were doused in silence as the realisation finally dawned on us

"But like how is this possible?!" I screeched

"We touched all the time!"

How is it possible that Lynette, THE girl I despise was my soulmate?!

"Well we never made skin contact, we always had ski gear in the way" she stated staring at me with the most dead look

Oh....

So that's how.

AN: Thank you for reading the first chapter of IHLU. We will update every Monday AEDT. My friend and I are both working on this together as a side project from school. We will also update this on Quotev under the name 'Nova Angel'. Thanks! :D