Chapter 8: Get out of dodge

Following the arrival of the unwanted guest during the baseball game, Edward quickly whisked Bella off the field. It had been decided that in order to protect Bella we had to get her out of town. I made sure to bring up the point of my father. Rosalie and Max agreed to stay behind to protect him. As Bella and Edward went to convince dad that Bella had to leave, Emmett and I followed behind because I agreed to help her pack.

When we arrived at our house, Emmett agreed to keep the car running as I jumped up to Bella's window. I didn't want my dad to know I was here. I also understood further how Edward had been sneaking in. I heard Bella and Edward arrive right behind me.

I heard them whispering back and forth, about how they loved each other and how Edward would do anything to protect her, it kinda sounded straight out of a bad romance novel. The quick smack of lips was faintly heard,

"GO AWAY EDWARD!", Bella yelled, as her footsteps pounded quickly into the house, she slammed the door, I could only assume in Edward's face.

"Bella?" Dad's voice could be heard questioning her actions.

"LEAVE ME ALONE" Bella's voice screeched, clearly in tears. Her footsteps clicked quickly up the stairs, she ran into her room where I was throwing her things into the duffle bag she kept under the stairs, she threw the door closed and locked It, I watched as she reached between her mattress and box spring and pulled a wad of cash out from a knotted old sock, checking it was there before throwing it into a bag the I handed to her.

"Bella, are you okay? What's going on?" Dad pounded on the door, his voice shaking in fright.

"I'm going home" She shouted over her shoulder, her voice cracking.

"Did he hurt you?" His tone was quickly edging toward anger.

"No!" She shrieked, man I thought Jessica's voice was annoying, She turned to her dresser, Edward stood there having jumped into the room after she slammed the door on him. He was quickly grabbing random clothes and threw them on the bed where I shoved it into the bag.

"Did he break up with you?" Dad was being fixed, as usual, he sounded perplexed.

"No!" She yelled again, she was breathless as she helped me shove things into her bag. Edward just kept throwing articles of clothing at us. The bag edged on overflowing.

"What happened Bella?" Dad shouted through the door, he resumed his pounding, slight tremors were getting sent through the house.

"I broke up with him" She shouted back, she clumsily was trying to zip the bag, I quickly pushed them away and closed it smoothly, I shoved the bag into her arms.

"I'll be in the truck- GO!" Edward whispered he pushed Bella toward the door and vanished out the window. I jumped out and ran to the front door. I needed to make sure that I could fix the damage I knew that Bella would inevitably cause.

"...That's the problem. I can't do this anymore! I can't put down any more roots here! I don't want to end up trapped here like mom! I'm not going to make the same dumb mistake as she did. I hate it- I can't stay here another minute." Wow harsh Bella, I felt like we had gone back in time to when Mom first left. Dad's hand dropped from Bella's arm, it looked as though she had electrocuted him. She turned away from him, his face shocked and clearly wounded. She shoved me out of her way as best she could and headed for the door.

"Bella, you can't leave now. It's nighttime" He whispered from behind her.

She didn't turn around. "I'll sleep in the truck if I get tired."

"Just wait another week," He pleaded, still clearly shell shocked. " Renee will be back by then." she stuttered in her step. "She called while you were out. Things aren't going so well in Florida, and if Phil doesn't get signed by the end of the week, they are going back to Arizona. The assistant coach of the sidewinders said they might have another spot for a shortstop."

Then she hit a zinger "I have a key." she mumbled. "Just let me go, Charlie. It didn't work out, okay? I really, really hate Forks!" Her words clearly did their job, Dad froze on the doorstep, he stuttered put something about me, to which she replied, "She's too busy anyway, she is not my sister."

She walked away, jumping into her trunk turning the key in the ignition. "I'll call you tomorrow" she yelled.

As soon as she pulled out of the driveway dad turned to me, tears in his eyes.

"Oh dad, It will be okay, I am still here," I said he gently walked past me into the house to his computer. "What are you doing?"

"Booking you a ticket to Arizona, you stay with her till your mom gets there, I don't trust her alone in such an unstable mindset." He said.

"Dad don't I'll go over to Cullen's. They got me plane tickets anyway to use for wherever. I left them there." I did my best to use a convincing lie, I didn't want him to waste money as I would not be going to Arizona, at least not right away. "Are you sure you don't want me to stay?"

"No, I'll be fine, I know you will always come back."